Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why do we cook our butts to 200* ...

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
... when most sites list pork as being finished at a temp of 160? For instance, here's a link that thirdeye posted recently.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Use_a_Food_Thermometer/index.asp

I've only made pulled pork 3 times, but each time I cooked to an internal temp of 200 and the meat was juicy, tender, and nobody got sick, so I'm sticking to it. But where's the data that says 200* is the endpoint? Just curious is all :)

Comments

• jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    safety is only one consideration.

collagen breakdown is another
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It is technically done at 160. It will be tasty too. But it won't pull. A Butt must get to approx 190 before it will pull with any ease, preferrably 195-200. At 160 there is too much connective tissue remaining for pulling.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    In that 170-185* range, or thereabouts, the fatty tissues are more fully rendered, and collagen/connective tissues are converted to gelatin, giving you the tender and moist end product.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    160 is actually overkill if you are going for food safety. The actual limit is 137 F. As others have said, for pork butts, you are going for the very tender condition where it will easily pull apart and for that, you need 195-200.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Often times the butt temp won't "plateau" (stagnate) until about 170F. During this time the "magic" happens when the collagen and other connective tissues break down and render the meat to its succulent state where it can easily be pulled. This stage of cooking doesn't apply to a pork loin or similar cuts. I've found that 190 works quite well...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The collagen begins turning to gelatin at, um, I believe 158 F. While that is happening, the butt temperature "plateaus." It sits around 160, sometimes even drops, while the collagen absorbs the heat. Because of the thickness of a butt or other cut, it can take many hours for the heat to work thru to the center of the meat, and melt everything.

Usually, the temperature rises rather rapidly after 170. During last rise, every bit of collagen is collapsing into gel, and more fat renders out. By the time the center reaches 195 - 200, the air temp around the meat should have equaled the dome temp, giving the wonderful browning flavors that occur above 230. If you like, you can ramp the temp up after the plateau to hurry things along. That will improve the bark, but at a slight risk of dryness.

If the meat goes much higher than 200, the remaining moisture is likely to be lost, or their will be so little that even the gel texture can't save the meat from a dry feel.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    It tastes better and I don't want to have to use a roto-tiller to pull it :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:
    JMURO (just my uneducated redneck opinion) ;)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Take all the advice, place in a bag, shake, pour over the pork butt and enjoy!!
    8 - )
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I think the data comes from experience and there is alot of it on this board... Them Butts at ~200 are goooooodddd!!! All moist and falling apart.

The other day on a post, I read someone who says they cook even more to get a thicker bark on the butt. I don't think I've done higher than 205 (which was very good too).

At 165 you have to chop not pull...because all that connective tissue hasn't melted complettely - but now I am repeating what everyone else says. I prefer the pulled version...
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    The best answer that was given to me when I asked the same question was:

"Just because...."

Good enough for me and has worked well for years.

Spring "Science Doesn't Always Make Good Food" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

At first I cooked to 195° - 200°, because that is what I read on the forum (Fidel's post).

Now 3 years latter, 160° :woohoo: :woohoo: No man's land.

160° for me is a terrible pull temperature. Pork slices too dry & tough. For pulled too tough.

For pork slices I pull at 140° and rest to at least 145° nice, tender and juicy. Pulled pork, 195° +/- 5° easy pull and juicy.

Cook to different temperatures and see what you and your family likes, maybe 160° is the answer for your liking.

GG
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers everyone, that's just what I needed to hear. I'll keep on cooking them to 200* since I like a nice easy pull and tender meat. Gonna do one next week in fact!
  • danny285
    Options
    So, Everyone is in aggrement that the Pork Butt is done when it reaches 200 Internal, No matter how long it takes??