Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Fire Grate-Warranty?

Options
fregg
fregg Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My firegrate has a big crack in it and has opened up leaving a large hole that the lump falls through.
Is this covered under the warranty?
Thanks
Fregg

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yep, mine cracked and they sent me a new one. Now the new one has cracked too, but not too much.
  • Grill Sergeant
    Options
    When putting the grate in the fire box, be sure to have the beveled side down. This beveling allows the grate to move up in the firebox as it expands from the heat releaving the pressure against the firebox sides. This info might seem very basic to experienced eggers but when I visited a local dealer I pointed this out to him when asked if I had "broken" any grates as one of his customers had. He had five eggs on the floor, when I checked he had four of the five grates in upside down.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    But that's what I don't want to happen... expand and crack. If the bevel side is up, then it will shouldn't crack because it can't expand as much. I say bevel side up because it also makes it so the ash tool can't grab the edge and pull away, it now just slides up the bevel.
  • Grill Sergeant
    Options
    I have discussed this topic with the 'Mother Ship" Their answer is to place the bevel side down as shown in the owners manual, page 8. Bevel side up will not keep the grate from expanding but will put additional pressure on the firebox sides with the possibility of it cutting into the sides, cracking the fire box or grate. The angles of the grate edge and the inside of the firebox are very close to being the same which allows the grate to move up as it expands.