Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Verticle Roaster Results

Options
Lance
Lance Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question to the forum:[p]Did using a verticle roaster allow your turkey to cook faster?[p]Did you see a more thoroughly cooked bird?[p]I would like to try this for my next go at a turkey, but I would like to get some of your thoughts first. [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Buck Shot
    Options
    Lance,[p]The verticle roaster is a nice toy to have however I do not feel that it is necessary. It may reduce cooking time a little, however size maximum of bird may be smaller that you can fit in the egg. Makes a wonderful presentation after you pull the bird off to carve. I found it better to put some fruit like apples, pears or something in the cavity than a verticle roaster
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Lance,[p]Roasting the bird vertically provides a beautiful skin and a convenient method of presentation and slicing. Cooking times are similar with the vertically cooked bird not requiring to be turned to achieve an even skin coloring.[p]If size is a problem, remove the fire ring from the Egg and place the grill directly on the fire box. Always use a small drip pan (no fire bricks, etc.) under the vertical roaster and add any aromatics to the drip pan rather than the cavity. I use a foil covered metal cake pan as the weight of the bird on the roaster has worn through the cheap foil pans before. I prefer using a lower dome temperature (250-275°F) when cooking. Timing runs in the 20-25 minute per pound range.[p]Spin
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    Lance,
    For what it's worth, I have used a vertical roaster 3 years in a row and the turkeys turned out great. Rave reviews from all our guests. The cooking time is interesting. I always cook an 18 lb turkey because that is the largest I can fit in the large egg. The first year it took about 4 hours at 325 to 350. The last 2 years it took only 2 hours to get the breasts to 165.
    Rich

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    Lance,
    Yep...my Vertical Roaster is a Foster's Beer Oil Can size...cut a little bit off butt of the turkey to make sure it's flat....I did two 22lb turkeys at the same time this way