Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any of you Eggsperts tried a Prime Rib Roast yet? Any Hints...cooking times per temp, per pound, bone(s) on/off...etc. You know, all the details. Any thing would be helpful and appreciated.[p]Thanks...Smokey

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    smokey,
    Your wish is my command! Check your e-mail![p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S12_24_9918_34_02.jpg
    <p />smokey, there are several great recipes posted in the recipe section of the forum - if you are out browsing, check out the link to my site use the SEARCH option and enter "Prime Rib" (with the quotes) for a few more pictures and options.[p]Make sure that you also check out "Cat's Oven Baked Potatoes" as a side disk. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    prime3.jpg
    <p />smokey,[p]There was a lot of talk about prime ribs after Earl did two of them at Eggtoberfest. It went on my short list to try. Here is one picture of the 3 bone rib featured on my webpage at the link below. You'll find many more and how I did them.
    A lot of folks here have done them so let us know if you have specific questions. I prefer bone in - is real easy to cut it off when done. You also must have a thermometer of some sort to check for doneness, a Polder is best so you won't need to raise the dome as much (we all peek in through the top).[p]Tim

[ul][li]<a href="http://www.c21virginia.com/ebay/bbq.htm">>>>--- Tim's cookbook ---<<<</a>[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    eggfest.jpg
    <p />Tim M, Your picture looks almost like (and as good as) mine - it must be because they were taken by similiar cameras! [p]I hope your weather next week for the EGGfest will be similiar to the weather here today - SUNNY, BRIGHT & ABOUT 75 DEGREES! [p]I'll be thinking of all the good food, good cooks and great people.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I spoke to my mom in Alton last night (81 yesterday) and she said the weather turned nice. The crud you had a day ago is here now and its a rainy mess. Send that good weather on this way!![p]Many pictures will be posted after Eggfest2000 for those who can't make it [p]Tim
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    primerib2.JPG
    <p />smokey,[p] They say good things come in three's. Tim & GFW have things
    down to an fine art. Use any old spice, salt,pepper,garlic.
    We cook our roast at aprox 350F with drip pan. Roast was
    placed on V-rack & we did( NOT) look under the lid untill internal temp hit aprox 145F. Let stand for 10mins. This
    in itself was a battle,hard not to pick at the crusty outside parts. Guests would wounder what happened to it.
    We also like to buy with bone in. acts as a heat sheild.
    Have fun
    Earl

• Gfw
    Options
    Earl, I love that picture - the 1st bone-in prime ribe that I made was a success thanks to your EGGsellant instructions which (along with your picture) I keep posted at my web site. Thanks!

[ul][li]Earl's Christmas Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Don't want to make waves, but the handle (username) Smokey is taken ... by me! Welcome and I'm glad we have a new user on the forum, but please choose a new name![p]The real Smokey
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I can bring a laptop with a floppy drive and a modem if anyone wishes to post pics on Saturday night. I can't guarantee, however, that I'll be mentally capable of finding the power switch come Saturday night, though, so if you want pics you may have to do the legwork yourself.[p]Lemme know if you think it's worth it Saturday night or if I should relax and wait til Sunday.[p]Cornfed