Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ya'll Helped A Lot!

Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to say "Thanks" for all the info everyone put on here. I cooked on my Medium Egg last Sunday for the first time and got help on a 4 1/2 lb boneless pork butt. We ended up cooking it for 5 hours @ 325 and it was absolutely delicious! I had a 8 lb turkey breast that I put in a simple brine recipe overnight that I got from someone on this site. Took out of brine yesterday morning and wrapped in foil and let sit in fridge til time to cook. My husband fired up the egg at 1:00. He cooked with a drip pan with liquid (He just poured beer in the pan)for about 4 hours (til internal temp reached 170)then pulled off, covered with foil and let sit for 45 min when all other foods were ready. It was absolutely wonderful and so juicy! My husband is so impressed! And all the family raved over how juicy. I was afraid it would be too salty but it wasn't. We are just taking bits and pieces from all of ya'll and experimenting. Thanks so much to all the postings that made this a success for us! I'm not sure if we'll ever use our oven again. Lol! Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Tanya,
    Congrats....taking little pieces and experimenting is EXACTLY what this forum is all about, eventually you will find the ways you like best for various cooks...then all of a sudden someone will post something you have never tried before and you say to yourself, damn that sounds good....I gotta try that..LOL...Welcome to the world of endless possibilities...[p]Wess

• Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    I have been on this site every morning just reading what everyone has to say. What I love is, when you have a question, you get an answer right away, and from people who have experience with the Egg. Plus, it's fun just reading. I can't wait to try more. My husband is a car salesman ( and good at it too!). We have one fire-place store in this town and I called to ask if they had heard of the Big Green Egg. The lady told me they had seen demos at shows and had thought of selling the egg but were concerned the cost was too much. I told her when compared to other gas grills cost and the difference in taste there is no comparison. They are now seriously thinking of selling it. This is great for me for we live in a small town in the Texas Panhandle and the closest place for supplies or accessories is Oklahoma. My husband already has 3 people he works with seriously thinking of getting an egg. We are excited!

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Tanya,[p]Don't you mean eggcited? [p]This is an amazing place, I guess it's appropriate because The Egg is an amazing product in many ways.[p]Welcome.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Tanya,[p]Nice to hear there are new eggthusitits out there spreading the taste. I have learned much from the folks on this website and say it is a great place to visit. Could not find a nicer bunch of folks than here. [p]Beers, beef, pork, seafood and stuffed papaya to you.[p]Ask Rhum and Jerk about the papaya. Try it if you are not a fan of it you soon will be.
  • drbbq,
    I was going to send you a bottle of JD for Christmas, but I think pocket protectors would serve you better...[p][p]Dylan

• drbbq
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Don't be so nEGGative Dylan. Send JD Green Label. ~~~~~~~
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Morning drbbq,[p]I had to read your post twice....... and am curious to hear the ways you find the bge to be an amazing product.[p]And theres nothing negative about a pocket protector.... it just might complete your look. :~)[p]John
    [ul][li]My Source for Cool[/ul]
  • drbbq
    WooDoggies,[p]I've dragged around a lot of different BBQ things over the years and of course the big fancy trailer and the big black rotiss cooker draw attention but none of it draws the folks like the BGE. They all want to poke at the eggs and talk about it. They all know a guy ....[p]Then there is the internet tie in. Cooking is a very internet friendly hobby and the BGE fits in perfectly. [p]It's different enough for the types who want something unique but easy enough to use for everyone. [p]The price is that of a nice feel good treat but not an outrageous luxury. [p]It is relatable as a grill, smoker, wood burning oven and even as a novelty piece of kitchen equipment. [p]You can actually talk to the guys running the company.[p]The on line support from fellow eggers is second to none.[p]It cooks pretty well too but I just think there is so much more to the story. I'm proud to be on board.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    drbbq,
    Well stated Ray.
    Larry

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    drbbq,[p]I couldn't agree more...! Well said.[p]Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving,
    Tonia
    :~)

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    drbbq,[p]Great answers...... thank you.
    Of all your reasons my favorite is this forum. Without this place I wouldn't know how truly versatile this cooker can be ........ and I would never have gotten into competing or met some life long friends.[p]Glad you are part of it all, Ray.[p]John[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Tanya,[p]You're going to love exploring the different thinks you can cook on your egg. That's one of the best things about it is its versatility. How many other cookers can sear steaks at 750°, cook low and slow bbq at 200°, roast like an oven, all in one? Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, desserts, appetizers...you name it, you can do it with the egg. [p]Prepare yourself for a brand new world! Shout out if you have questions...[p]Welcome,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    drbbq,
    A good post Doc. Several years ago when I became an egghead, it was real easy for me not to appreciate your posts or to become mad as a wet setting hen when I took the time to read one of them.
    However, I for one am glad to see you on board the BGE team, especially after meeting you in Atlanta. I think it is only natural for people to be skeptical after all the flame posting etc; but I am glad that is all goneand in the past.
    Once again, glad to have you aboard!
    Hammer

• Doctor,
    You have something on your chin.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    LOL, "Al" . . . I'll say! I hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving!
    [/b]
  • Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Why, do you have a connection for them? ;-) I've wanted one for a while now...
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    What's the reason for breathing life into an 8 year old thread :)
    context is important :)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    On that same note. I wonder what the longest running thread in the world is. Hmmm... Something for me to lol up one night when I can't sleep :)
    context is important :)