Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid hardware question....

NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After posting with jlockhart29 on build a raised grid for the medium (thanks JL) I went out and bought the extra grid. However, I've read several post on the concern for different hardware types, e.g., zinc, galvinized and stainless steel.

Right now I'm holding out for stainless steel - need to get to my turn of the century hardware store for SS as the local Home Depot didn't carry the right sizes.

What are type of bolts, washers and nuts are you using on yours? And is there a strong recommmendation for any particular type of steel?

Thanks!

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I believe SS is best as it should not give off any residual gasses or effect the food.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Use stainless because it is safer and will not deteriorate with usage like galvanized will.Use 1/4 inch bolts and nuts with 1 1/4 inch washers.I would recommend a four inch bolt for the medium.The Whiz says use a five inch one for the large.I use a four and one half inch on my large.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    You just might want to try this out.Get yourself a eight inch grid and put that on top of the plate setter along with your pizza stone with the legs down.In the large this gets the pie high into the dome which I have found out that the cheese on top melts faster and greatly prevents the burning on the bottom crust.

spatchcockchicken084-1.jpg

spatchcockchicken085-1.jpg

Hope this helps you out.
  • I used mild steel nuts and bolts (not galvanized).
  •  
    Hey Bill,

I'm working on a set up for jerky on my medium. The grids are Weber stainless plated food grids for the Smoky Joe and 1/4 20 2" bolts/1" washers/nuts are stainless also. I start out with the cast iron grid, BGE feet, 12" BGE pizza stone, 12" disposable aluminum drip pan, BGE porcelain grid, 2 Weber grids on 2" legs. This gives me 3 levels of indirect heat, the Weber's grids are 13.5" I think. I can use them for any thing up to 2" thick as they are set up now.
    Low_Temp_SetUp_640_7.jpg
    Low_Temp_SetUp_640_8.jpg
    I decided to add a set of chains so I can lift the whole rig at once so I can tend the fire. I could not get stainless chain and didn't want to pay for it if I could so I used plain Jane hardware and don't worry about it. The chain goes to a 1/2" slit D ring to a 1/4 20 4" eye bolt that has the appropriate nuts and washers. The bottom nut is a wing nut so I can remove them from the cast iron easily. These I can trim down when I figure out the best length for them. It is not going to be in contact with food and I am not concerned at these temperatures.
    DSCN5419_640.jpg
    The whole rig weights in at just 20#. Hope this helps a little.

Gator

• ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    You might try a boat shop, we used to have sailboats and they carried most hardware in SS or brass.

Gator Bait, your set up looks absolutely great! Cheers, Erik
  • NoVA Bill
    Thanks a bunch guys!! Just the feedback I was looking for, all the way from a raised grid to a set of jerky racks - NICE!

Thanks again!!!
  • 18" Weber replacement grid and (3) 4" or 4.1/2" x 3/8" zinc plated bolts.

08-22.jpg
    The off-gassing of zinc is sort of an urban legend. You will not get the Egg hot enough for zinc plated parts to melt and give off the zinc oxide gas. If you do get it hot enough to do that your stainless steel will be off-gassing too!

I've also heard that food cooked over charcoal is carcinogenic. I'm not saying I agree with that.

I'm saying a lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get it's pants on.(apologies, Winnie)

use whatever you feel comfortable with and if you use 3 bolts, the grid will never wobble.
  • I have a Primo and I have an Egg. The Primo has a expandable 1/2 grid that snaps into the grid below. Does a Egg grill exist that is maybe aftermarket??

This is very functional, and modular...
  • NoVA Bill
    If I understand what you wrote, the only thing I know of is the grid extender - which for me was a waste of money.
  • NoVA Bill
    Thanks. I got the 13.5 inch weber for the medium and you bet I'm going with three SS bolts w/nuts and washers - I'd never get it level with four bolts. :laugh:
  • whatever length bolts I got, I found that it's too high to put it on the grid if I'm using the platesetter- dome won't close.

so if that's something you'll want to do (like a double decker indirect), don't go with anything bigger than 4.1/2" length bolts and check the size in your Egg before you cook on it while it's still adjustable. After a few cooks and a little while it will no longer be easily adjustable.
  • This is the extended rack I am referring - I can't get the image to load :woohoo:

Does www.flickr.com images work with the forum???
  • NoVA Bill
    Yep that's what I'm looking to do - basically a double rib rack. Thanks for input.
  • NoVA Bill
    All I know is we use PhotoBucket.
  • NoVA Bill
    Looks like you're planning to feed an army! :laugh:

Good feedback thanks!
  • NoVA Bill
    I believe I'll able to use the rack I'm bulding for pizza also. Should work. Thanks
  • NoVA Bill
    Thanks for the measurements!
  • NoVA Bill
    Got it, thanks!
  •  
    I might be able to feed a small army, LOL. I was thinking I could cook up about a million chicken wings. That rig really adds real estate to the medium. For now I am looking forward to jerky.

Gator

•  
    Thanks Erik, it has been fun to piece together. I have been laid up with a bad cold so I have had time to play with it. I try to stay out of hardware stores, I get a little carried away. :cheer:

Gator

• jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    stainless steel is no safer than any other metal.

galvanize steel won't cause any damn problems.

here's the thing. let's assume somehow magically the egg can reach temps where the galvanized metal could reach a gaseous state (it can't by the way, but let's assume it could). if it could, it could also cause stainless steel to off-gas. and if i had a choice, i'd breathe galvy fumes any day over stainless fumes. galvanized steel has absolutely NO long term health effects, and can not kill you.

stainless steel, if it reached welding temps (which is waht's required) could kill you by giving you cancer from the chromium and nickel becoming gaseous and being inhaled.

to use this phrase twice within ten minutes... anyone telling you that galvanized fumes are dangerous (or even possible) in an egg, doesn't know what they are talking about.
  • jagweed
    totally incorrect. this myth will never frigging die.
  • jagweed
    it isn't any "safer"

neither is it unsafe
  • jagweed
    thanks for being apparently the only other sane person in the room, bob. hahaha

i don't know how many times i have tried to debunk that stupid (yet grounded in truth) myth about galvy versus stainless.

i'll give a hundred bucks to ANYONE here who can prove that galvanized steel is not only dangerous, but safer than stainless. in fact, i'll go so far as to say that if your egg is reaching those dangerous temps (and it isn't, and can't), then it's better and safer to use galvy than it is stainless.

prove me wrong, win a hundred bucks.

anyone? ...anyone?

quick, go check the MSDS info. but make sure you read it correctly and don't cherry pick from it.

when did americans stop thinking for themselves and start believing everything they heard at a frikkin cookout or on the internet?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Lowes carries some stainless nuts/bolts. Towns of reaonsable size will have a nut and bolt companies. Try Fastenal, MSC or similar online stores.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • It's not often that I'm accused of sanity! :laugh: