Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Ray or no Blue Ray?

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Our DVD player went out a few days ago so we are looking to buy a new one. Are the Blue Rays the way to go? I seen a Samsung in Sams today for 179.00. Are there any things to look for while shopping for one? Thanks to all!

Comments

• troutman
    Options
    My DVD player stopped ejecting discs about six months ago. I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray from Costco, with a coupon, for about $175, and we love it. We only have a few Blu-Ray discs but they are incredible.

For the price difference, I'd go with Blu-Ray again because it makes plain ole DVD's look better too.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I like to play games and the new price of $299 for the Playstation 3 is a very interesting. It includes the Blu-Ray drive and a lot more and is made by Sony, a company I have always had good luck with. Sounds like it is worth looking into. From what I have seen of the Blu-Ray demos in the stores it looks great but then I never saw a demo that didn't. ;)

Gator

• troutman
    Options
    The best feature of my Blu Ray is the upconverting of regular DVD's. I'd suggest that you make sure the Sony will upconvert DVDs to the higher resolution and the output type that gets upconverted (probably HDMI) can be used with your TV. DVD's look noticeably better on my new player than the old one.

Just my two cents, and lots more of your money! It is more fun spending yours than mine.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I am of the opinion that both Blu Ray and DVD's are living on borrowed time. Within a couple years max, we will be accessing our personal hard drives and/or online rental services via our TV remote control for instant access to the latest HD quality movies.
  • troutman
    Options
    I agree, and it'll be a big improvement.

In the meantime, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on any of this stuff. Besides, I still want a small Egg to go alongside my large.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    troutman,

I agree with the Samsung. I bought it about a year ago with a 120 Hz tv. I wasn't sure if it was the tv or the blu ray. As we started to accumulate dvd's I bought one for another tv and it does make a huge difference.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Our dvd player went out recently and after some consideration, we replaced it with a $69 Sony player from Amazon. I'm not ready to commit to the bucks for a Blu Ray player or for the higher priced dvd's at this point in time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Blue Ray is impressive, but I am with you. I look at my closet, basement, garage and there are Beta, VHS, LaserDisc (for those of you that remember those), DVD's. I have spent multiple of thousands of dollars on movies.

Some movies I have bought on all 4 formats, enough is enough! There are probably less than 30 I really want to watch again and probably 20 that we will watch over and over. I have transferred the few 'good' movies to the hard drive.

The local library, Red Box (very nice service), NetFlix or video store has any movie I might want to see.

My 2¢

GG