Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How large a turkey can I cook on Large BGE?

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How large of a turkey can I cook on a L-BGE using a verticle roaster or a v-rack? I also have seen a lot of brine receipes that include brown sugar and maple syrup, does that make the meat taste seet at all?[p]Thanks!!

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Kilo,[p]I've done a 26 pound turkey on a vrack over a drip pan on the main grid with a little room to spare.[p]Yep, using sugar in your brine will give the bird a sweetness...... the level of sweetness will depend on time in the brine and sugar concentration.

John

[ul][li]Here are some answers for you[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Kilo,
    Welcome, I have never done a turkey on a vertical roaster so I can't answer your question. I believe BGE says up 25 lb.
    but I think that is flat rather then vertical. [p]I'm doing one that is almost 18 pounds but not cooking it vertical.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    Kilo,
    The biggest turkey that I have gotten in a large egg using a vertical rooster is 18 lbs and then part of the turkey is in the top vent. I have cooked the Thanksgiving turkey in the egg using a vertical rooster three years in a row and they have all turned out great.
    Rich