Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Vertical Chicken advice needed

Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Medium Egg heating up to 350 F. Gonna cook 1 chicken on a vertical rack. Was planning on putting it in a drip pan on an inverted placesetter (legs up). Will this be ok or should I put something under the drip pan or use the grill (I've read space can be tight with the grill).

Found a bag of pecan wood chunks I bought last year--any thoughts?

Rub the chicken?

any advice and hints greatly appreciated!!
thanks!!

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    You probably will have space problems using the grill but give it a try. Otherwise, I would try legs up on the plate setter and drip pan on the plate setter and then vertical roaster in the pan. One thing to be careful of is if the chicken is very close to the temp gauge it will throw off your temp readings. Place the chicken slightly back to avoid this.

I often put potatoes and carrots in the drip pan with some beer. Very tasty.

Pecan is definitely my wood of choice with poultry.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I've found I don't even use the v stand any more. I rub or marinate and throw the bird on the grill. Drip pan under. Pecan is very good too. Let us know how this goes for you. Trust the egg!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • skihorn
    Molly, what is the supposed advantage to going vertical? When I am doing several chickens I don't have room to do them vertical and honestly they taste the same.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I have cooked beer can chicken on the med both ways with the plate setter as described by skihorn and on the grid (at the fire ring) with the chicken and rig sitting in the a pan. I changed from beer can chicken in favor of spatcock and chicken parts both direct cooks at the felt line.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I agree, that is why I just lay them on the grill now. Not any difference to me. Freddie it's a scam I'm sure of it, the guvnamint is involved :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • E-o-M,
    That's how I did my first birds. Actually two of them. One on a can that was in a holder to help it stand up and the other on a Bud tall boy to help it stand as well.

They were great with a simple rub that I did on it about an hour before the cook. Didn't have more time unfortunately.

Second time was standing three up in a roasting pan w/out the place setter. I didn't like the taste as much. Could have been the rub or that i used more hickory chunks. Going back to indirect next time. Don't know how it would make a difference.

One thing, and I'm sorry I don't remember where I saw it, i'm not claiming it but freezing a couple of lemons and then cutting them in thirds so you have two "nippled" ends to slide up under the skin and onto the breasts not only looked cool but helped the breasts cook a little slower.

Look for the recipie for Big Bog Gibson's White BBQ Sauce and make it up with some rub in it. Awesome with the chicken.

Dogger
  • Just finished dinner - Beer butt chicken platestter legs up, drip pan sitting on plate setter and the chicken in the grid 350 little over an hour and wonderful.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I did exactly what you described on my first and, so far, only vertical rack chicken. Rubbed it with something, though I forget what. Also olive oil.Cooked at 350 til the Thermapen said it was done. No wood chips though. Tasted ok, but just ok. The ones I've always done in my kitchen oven or especially my toaster oven rotisserie are better. Trouble was, the egg chicken looked like I cooked it in the microwave! Very disappointing color. EVERY photo of chicken I have seen posted here looked better than mine.

This was, I think, my second cook on the egg...the color of the chicken matches the color of the egg!

3869525634_50e5008866.jpg

I'm sure I'll figure it out (have another waiting in the fridge), but I have discovered TRex'd steak and burgers! I don't need no steenkin chicken!! :laugh:

EDIT...Oops, I just noticed that you mentioned a platesetter. Guess I didn't do it exactly the same way! Still, more browning is definitely in order!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• E-o-M,
    That's how I did my first birds. Actually two of them. One on a can that was in a holder to help it stand up and the other on a Bud tall boy to help it stand as well.

They were great with a simple rub that I did on it about an hour before the cook. Didn't have more time unfortunately.

Second time was standing three up in a roasting pan w/out the place setter. I didn't like the taste as much. Could have been the rub or that i used more hickory chunks. Going back to indirect next time. Don't know how it would make a difference.

One thing, and I'm sorry I don't remember where I saw it, i'm not claiming it but freezing a couple of lemons and then cutting them in thirds so you have two "nippled" ends to slide up under the skin and onto the breasts not only looked cool but helped the breasts cook a little slower.

Look for the recipie for Big Bog Gibson's White BBQ Sauce and make it up with some rub in it. Awesome with the chicken.

Dogger
  • skihorn
    Michael: If the color is important to you use pecan. It does give poultry the right color. Of course, if you don't like the taste of pecan that would not make sense. It is what I always use on chicken and turkey and love it.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Freddie, but I've never seen pecan in my neck of the woods (Connecticut). It's cousin, hickory, is no problem though so maybe I'll try that next time.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Try cherry if you cant find pecan. It is great with either beer butt or spat.
  • Carolina Q
    Cherry might be easier to find. I could always raid my scrap lumber stash. Is apple any good with chicken?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• skihorn
    Michael: Hickory is pretty strong, so be careful how much you use on chicken. By using it sparingly you may not get the color you desire. I agree with the cherry option if you can find that. Cherry is pretty mild so you can use a good amount.

Being in Texas I forget that pecan (our state tree) is not every where.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Yes, I often sprinkle a few apple chips in with the pecan. But I still might go with the cherry as my second choice.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Michael, it's funny, I've failed at some things that I thought would go better, but I've had good luck with the vertical chickens.

I've done them simply with a nice rub and the placesetter at 350, and my neighbors always want to know when I'm doing some.

I got the stand from BGE, and one from WalMart, and the BGE makes them stand up nicely, but no real difference.

I hope you try a few more along with the burgers and steak! It's all good on the Egg.

Cheers, Erik
  • Carolina Q
    skihorn wrote:
    Being in Texas I forget that pecan (our state tree) is not every where.

Freddie
    League City, TX

You actually know what your state tree IS?! I don't even know if Connecticut HAS one! :laugh: Surely they do.

I'll try to find some cherry. Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I also always used vertical stands at first. Try spatchcocks and chicken halves and I'm sure you will throw the stands away. Just something else to wash. Happy egging!
  • Late weigh-in

I only go verticle if I'm doing more than two birds
    Unwrap the chicken and put it in the fridge overnight to dry the skin out a bit
    Place an ice bag on the breast for about 30 minutes before you go on the egg
    Rub with a little EVOO and your favorite rub just before going on the Egg
    Try 400 instead of 350 - will be done around 1 hr and 15 minutes
    Cook to temp - not time
    If going verticle, just put it on the can (no holder) and position the legs to form a tripod
    Carolina Q - Drop in an Academy and check out their smokin woods in the grill section
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Frank, but what is "an Academy"? If you are referring to the sporting goods store (I had to look it up), the nearest one to me is in Charlotte NC - about 800 miles away! :huh:

Not much to choose from here in the frozen north. Hickory and mesquite chunks, occasionally apple chips, but that's about it. Nothing much at all in the winter. I'll find other stuff somewhere, but may have to cut it myself! I do have some deadfall maple from some yard work I did yesterday. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut