Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone ever get lazy with spares?

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it just wrong if I didn't trim them? Lazy I know, but do you have to trim them or can you just let them go and make people eat around the extra cartilage? You see, I don't like beans so I don't know what to do with the trimmings. I guess I could make them into humbao's or something.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• You don't have to trim them. It would definitely take the membrane off the back though!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I don't trim them, my family prefer spares that way. Albeit I have become beter at getting the membrain and extra fat trim off.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    They make great chili IMHO. You can leave the beans out, still good.

Chili, Pork, BGE Red Neck, Richard Fl

100_1285.jpg

OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs!

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    6 Lbs Pork, Country Ribs, Bone in
    1 Cup Green/Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    2 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    4 14 1/2 Ozs Tomatoes, Crushed
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Stewed Tomatoes
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 6 cups of meat.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/04/25
  • That looks good and I have a CI dutch oven just begging for it. Thanks
  • Throw the trimmed tips into a cast iron duct oven and make carnitas! I read that last week and have three from yesterday that I'm going to try later this week.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I trim my spares to St. Louis Ribs and smoke the trimmings and rib tips with the racks. I then use them in Chili. or nibble on them.
  • I never trim mine, but they do already come with the tips removed and included with them. I generally cook the tips and chop them up for beans, though that chili looks tempting.