Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with my Butt

Options
Moboy
Moboy Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some. I put butt on large bge last night at 220 and woke up this morning to find the butt at 190. I have cooked 30+ butts over the years and nearly all of them took between 14 to 16 hours. Today I'm nearly at temp after only 9 1/2 hours. My question is, can I rap in foil and towel place in cooler for 4 or 5 hours and still have a good butt? Or does anyone have a better idea. Thanks.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Not a problem, the foil/towel/cooler deal is a sure thing. Just be sure and fill all the "air" space in the cooler with towels or blankets. Some will add a container of hot water to keep a heat source going.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Moboy,

I would turn down the heat on the Egg to 200 degrees, and leave the butt on there until the internal hits 195-200. With that low a differential between the dome and desired meat temp, you'll probably get a couple more hours out of it. Then foil, towel, and cooler. You'd probably be fine pulling it now but you have a better chance of keeping it warm by leaving it on. I did something similar a month or so ago and it worked fine.

-John
  • Moboy
    Options
    Pulled grill temp down to 200 and will let it cook to 205. Thanks for the advice guys. I was stating to freak out a bit. Now I'm cool and back in charge of my butt. Thanks again guys. Btw I will post picks later today and let everyone know how it tasted. Damn nice to have a forum like this to help out when having problems.
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    Have you tried measuring the temp in different places? Maybe you have a hot spot.