Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked almonds

Options
ranger ray
ranger ray Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
wow! i made my first batch of smoked almonds following bocchie
's instructions....they came out superb! better than store bought by far....do ya think the plum tree wood is the secret?....thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer my questions...you're a great bunch of folks! ray

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    ranger ray,[p]Funny thing is I hear the same thing from co-workers who eat them. Several have said they like them better than the store bought. The store bought are just so salty, plus not smoked with the plum.[p]Actually I got lucky with the plum wood. They say any of the fruit woods will do good. The last fruit wood I had was plum. It leaves an enjoyable flavor on the almonds doesnt it?[p]I will be attempting some brining soon, hopefully the salt will stay on after that rather than fall off at a later time.[p]Well Im glad they turned out good for ya![p]Boccie

• Boccie,[p]Picked up some raw almonds over the weekend, Think I'll try your method, only with apple chunks which I have on-hand. I like olive oil - will use EV, but some recipes mention canola oil, which is a tad lighter - have your tried other oils? Also, you use fine salt - like popcorn salt, right?[p]
    MM

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    MapMan,[p]I have only used olive oil. The salt must be fine salt, if you use kosher it wont stay on hardly at all. Even the fine salt falls off after a couple days. This is why I plan on trying to soak them in a brine first. Only negative to that is thats how they get the brown husk off... by soaking. So I will need to watch and not soak too long. We'll see.[p]I have tried store bought hickory smoked almonds and didnt care at all for the flavor. I never tried apple smoked yet, so let us know how that goes. Might be a good mix.[p]-Boccie
  • ranger ray
    Options
    Boccie,
    i going to try a batch with some pear wood that i have....i'll let ya know how that worked in comparison to the plum....ray