Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Neck Big Green Egg

Options
Wanabe
Wanabe Posts: 355
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is funny. I saw this on the AR15.com forum. Some guys will do anything to save a buck! If you stop to think about it, you save money on the egg you can buy more ammunition.

redNeckBiggreenegg.jpg

Comments

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    I think Alton Brown did something simular.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    The show Alton did with two terra cotta flower pots and a hotplate was on last night food channel. he did a pork butt that pulled beautifully.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Mmmmmm....ammo. :woohoo:
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yep. It was his episode named "Q".
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hey hey hey, this is funny? :silly: I'm no redneck, but yeah, I saved a buck. This thing cost me about $70.

Saw the Alton Brown show and HAD to have one. I've had it for about 4-5 years now. Plug in the hot plate, throw a few handfuls of pre-soaked hickory chips in a steel pie plate and set it on the hot plate. Let it get up to max temp (my hot plate will only let it reach about 220) and throw a butt on the 14" Weber replacement grate (which happens to fit perfectly in my flower pot).

I come back in 12-14 hours and find perfect pork butt waiting for me - every time. Great bark and fall off the bone tender. No babysitting all night cooks, no waking up to find the temp at 100 degrees - or 400!! No $200 DigiQ's either. It has never failed me. Also does ribs, chicken, turkey breast - anything lo and slo. No hassles with air vents, no trying to get the temp down when it runs away from me.

It does suck in the winter. Not enough mass to keep the temp where it should be. That's when I decided to put it in my living room fireplace. :) Ambient temp in the 70s, no rain, no snow, no wind. Good draft so the house isn't full of smoke. And the "decorator orange" extension cord adds a classy touch to my Living Room.

Steaks and pizza? Not so much. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut