Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall-off the Bone Ribs ?

Options
Tornado
Tornado Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for advice....being new to the ceramic eggsperience... I love fall off the bone ribs but so far haven't produced that in the ceramic.. last batch cooked for 5 hours at 250 degrees, indirect...not as tender and ready as I expected...Please share your thoughts and I'll try them out. Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    3-1-1 will do it for babybacks- maybe 3 - 1.5 -.5
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Foiling during the cook will help you there, whether it's 3-1-1 or some variation.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Foil in stage two with 1/2 cup liquid.Apple juice,beer etc.Between 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Many believe "Fallin off the bone" ribs to be overdone. If I'm not mistaken the judges on both major competition leagues do as well.
  • Tornado
    Options
    Looks like the foiling step will be major in acheiving the rib finish I prefer. 'Fallin off the bones' is just my personal taste & texture preferrence not considering the standards for competition.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    when you do the foil stage its meat side down so the meat braises in the liquid, and cook til they are falling apart, not necesarrily an hour, sometimes more depending on cook temp and temp and quantity of liquid added. the last hour is actually to firm them up a little, not really cook them. done long enough and the bones will slip right out. they can fall apart just cooking them longer without foil but you need a good meaty rack to start out with, a thin rack will sometimes dry out from the long cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I have found that doing a 2.5-1.5-1 works best for me to get that effect at 250° F indirect.

I'll start indirect and flip each hour for the first 2 hours. Then at the 2.5 hour mark I'll wrap each rack individually in foil and stack them in the egg with the ends of the ribs pointing down. They steam good that way. Otherwise, pointing up the majority of the meat will sit in juice and get mushy. I've tried to put 2 racks in foil together and it doesn't turn out the same. So wrap each rack individually.

I let them go for 1.5 hours indirect in foil. Then, I take them out of foil and put them back on direct for the last hour flipping every 20 minutes at this point and saucing. Still at 250° F.

This will produce what you are looking for I think. :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Baby Backs or Spares? I might be able to help a little. ;)

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    They are considered over done, but a lot of people like them that way. Which is fine, they should like ribs the way they like them. Not me.

Mike
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Lets call it what it is: foiling ribs is stewing. :blink:
  • Tornado
    Options
  • Davekatz
    Options
    Actually, it's braising ;)

I've done them 2-1-1 (babybacks), 3-2-1 (spares), and just a straight 5-7 hours with no foil (both) and find that I pretty much like them no matter which way I cook them. A lot of it's just a matter of what I'm in the mood for and how much time/attention I can devote to the cook.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Are you cutting the flap meat off the back? That will help that end of the rib. And yes, foiling with apple juice will get you what you want. Foil spares at 275 for 1 hour. Your temp is to low for foiling IMHO.

Mike
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    This is just the kind of advice people need, but are rarely given. All those little details count! You're a peach.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Rich a lot of KCBS contestants foil. I know some of the top teams do.

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    you always miss one or two though, as carwash mike said it needs to be hotter in the foil stage, atleast 275, 300 is even better especially if there is a fair amount of liquid. im not big with foiling, i like a 225 degree cook done raised grate direct, but ill cook ribs all sorts of ways depending on the crowd or my time and what else im doing. there is alot of stupid little details and they all add up, biggest thing is to do the cook several times and learn what to look for because foiling isnt the most consistant cook if your watching a clock, you need to be watching the ribs and know when they look right for the next stage to begin.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tornado
    Options
    I did not cut the flap off the back last time so next -time it'll go and I'll adjust the temp upwards of 275-300 for the foil stage. Perhaps those adjustments will create the desired outcome. Thanks!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    If the judges like stewed ribs, so be it; I don't. :S