Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

does size matter???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am in the market for an egg. Can't decide between the med vs large egg. Is the medium that much smaller than the large that anyone has wished they would have paid the additional money for the large egg?

Comments

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    virginia, imo, if you can afford the large then get the large because it gives you the versatility of cooking for more people or cooking for one or two.
  • JM
    JM Posts: 39
    Options
    virginia,
    Yes Virginia - there is a difference. As mentioned by Washog - if you are only getting one egg, the versatility of the large will expand your grilling options. When your neighbors discover that you are cooking on the egg - you will have people beating down the door to sample your creations.
    JM

• Citizen Q
    Options
    virginia,
    The large is definitely the way to go, it's about 79 square inches more grill space (think of that in terms of pizza) and it'll do anything a medium can do plus so much more. The large has more available accessories and has more capacity for multi-tiered cooking also.[p]This time of year, you may be able to get a bargain on a large if you shop stove and fireplace specialty stores that carry the BGE as they want to get the seasonal grilling equipment out of the way. I bought a large for my sister in law last year for just $20 more than the price of a medium in July because summer grill sales season was waning and the owner needed to make room for incoming winter stock.[p]While my large Egg has been sufficient for gatherings of up to 50 people with some planning, there have been times that I wished it was bigger or that I had a second large to assist.[p]Cheers and Welcome To The Cult,
    C~Q

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />virginia, you'l probably be pleased with either size. I have a medium and mostly cook for 4 or less. Check out the link - all done on a medium.[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    virginia,[p]I've got a medium and a mini. Its just my wife and I but I've easily cooked on the medium for a party of twenty. I use the mini when I cook for the two of us and only need a little grid space for say, four hamburgers, two steaks, etc. Whatever you choose, you'll be glad you did! Mac
  • Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    virginia, Well, working in the aviation field, I go by the rule of thumb,- The only time you’ve got too much gas is when you’re on fire! Thinking like a man. Bigger is always better, unless you’re paying taxes. S-N-M!

• virginia,[p]You probably won’t know the difference between a large and a medium (especially since you will have nothing to compare it to once you own one or the other). The folks that have both medium and large will be able to explain the differences (probably closer to nuances). Since you will only own one egg (initially) get a medium or a large. Both have sufficient volume to do low-and-slow Q while maintaining the high temp capability of Neanderthal grilling.[p]Don’t let indecision slow you down, just buy a med or large and enjoy the ride. If you aren’t influenced by the small price difference between the M and L, get the large and never look back.[p]Sin now, repent at leisure.