Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Temp ran away; butt almost done!

Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hoping there are some insomniacs or west coasters still on. Went out to check on my butt (looked at the package and saw it was smaller than I thought--5.8 lbs) just now. It's at 193 after only 6 hours. My dome temp, which was 260 (grill temp 227) when I thought it was stable at 10pm had gotten up to 310 by midnight. Butt was at 163 internal--I figured it was just about to start the plateau and I'd be ok. I adjusted the bottom vent and set the alarm for 2am and hoped the dome temp would improve and the butt would sit at 163 or just a little higher for a while. Well, the dome was still 310 at 2am and the butt is 193 (probably higher now--I'm going back down to check and will take it off if it's 200). Then I'll just wrap in a lot of foil and place it in a cooler with blankets for about 4 hours and try to pull then. Anything else I can do? It smells incredible out there so I know the flavor will be great, although at only an hour per pound I wonder about the texture and if it will be able to be pulled or if I'll have to just slice it. Any ideas for breakfast?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Make sure your dome thermometer is calibrated.

If your dome thermometer was that high it might well get done in this short of time.

Check it for tenderness, fork or bone twist. If it is done, it is done.

It is pretty hard to mess these things up for foil and get it in a cooler. It should hold for 3 to 4 hours pretty easily. You might have to do a reheat when serving unless this is a breakfast cook.

GG
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Yep--dome is calibrated and I just pulled it off now at 200 internal meat temp. I tested with a fork and it looks like it'll be no problem at all to pull--very tender (and tasty). Wrapped it in foil and into the cooler. I'll just get up a little early and pull it for breakfast.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Should be fine. I often cook a smaller one at 250 for 3 4 0r 5 hrs. then kick it up to 325ish and finnish it on off. The bark might not be quite as deep and flavorfull and it might be just a dad tougher in the middle but not that most folks would ever notice. I think you will be pleased later with it. Now I need to go to bed after work instead of playing on the forum! :laugh: