Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THANKS everyone for the pork loin help

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
thanks to all the advice i got on doing my first pork loin. . .i did my usual thing and took a little something from almost everyone who responded (including my big sis, the wyoming connection). .. the results were a B+. .. here's what i did. . [p]i butterflied out the loin to a nice flat piece. . .i took a box of uncle bens instant long grain and wild rice mix, mixed it with about 2/3 of the stated amount of hot water, let it soften for about 5 minutes. .. .spread the rice evenly across the meat, along with a thinly sliced apple. . .wrapped this up in bacon (i used a couple of long scewers to hold the meat together, and toothpicks to hold the bacon. .. set it in the egg at 350 dome temps indirect over a drip pan for right on 1 1/2 hours. . .it made a beautiful presentation when sliced and was quite tasty. . ..the family really enjoyed it. . .[p]so why only a B+. .. it was a tad dry. . .i pulled it at 140 internal, but i think i could have either used some more bacon than i did, or used a marinade of some type. . also, while tasty, it could have use a little more 'umph'. .. again, either a marinade, or some seasonng (i forgot to put dizzy pig on it even though i had planned on it, in fact i sprinkled some raging river on my slice and it definitely added some flavor). . .the rice and apple stuffing worked out real well though, it looked good and tasted even better. . ..[p]we will definitely do this again, and aim for that A rating. . ..[p]thanks again everybody, i appreciated the help. . .

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I did a similar version of what you describe a couple of weeks ago, but I made the stuffing with dried bread cubes, onion, fresh sage and rosemary, apple, and dried cranberries. I sauteed the whole shebang in butter and let it cool a bit before stuffing the pork loin. I managed to snag one of those stretchy string mesh "sock" thingies from the butcher. Those are marvelous, and WAY easier than skewers, toothpicks, or tye-yer-own string. I slathered the outside with Gilded Splinters, and though the taste was superb, I'll admit that the meat was just a little drier than I'd like. Next time, I'll bacon the outside, and brine the pork loin. Seeking perfection is tons of fun.
    G.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Gretl,
    ---and a boatload of GARLIC! Good heavens, how could I forget that essential ingredient?
    Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl,
    the wild rice and apples was the real winner in this cook. .. next is to work on enhancing the flavor/moisture of the meat. . .gilded splinters sure sounds good. .. or like i thought of too late, raging river. . .brine or marinade or more bacon will definitily help. . .you sure can't beat the price of pork loins at costco so i'll definitely be trying them again. ..

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Gretl,[p]Stuffing like that is pretty hard to get right in a pork loin.
    [ul][li]Pork loin[/ul]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,
    thanks for the link....the stuffing i did was an uncle bens instant wild rice, i mixed it with warm water for about 10 minutes, so that when i put the stuffing in the loin (and i had butterflied the loin into a fairly flat piece, then spread the rice and apple slices across it) it was basically already cooked (it softened up completely from the juice of the apple and the pork during the cook). . .so it didn't add to the cooking time that i could tell. . .and i don't think it robbed juices from the pork. . but what the hell do i know. .. [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]yeah, try brining next time.
  • char buddy ,
    so, what do you brine it in???. . .i may be a g-d but i'm not a mind reader . .. hheeee[p]btw, love your new web site. . good stuff!!

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    also you might try the Stouffer's STUFFING mix (not just straight long grain and wild rice) -- or just steal the seasoning packet out of it!! The Stouffer's STUFFING recipe also includes a big glob of butter which adds to the moisture content....

• your wyoming connection,
    i couldn't find a stouffers rice stuffing anywhere at my store. . . so i went for the next best thing. .. it was tasty though. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]check the new recipe section. I think I have a recipe there for pork chops that features a vanilla bean brine. As Johnny Carson used to say, "That is wierd stuff." [p]Just adapt for the pork loin. [p]You can't taste the vanilla in the pork (or at least I can't) but it seems to do something for the texture. [p]CB