Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex with a hole!

Options
Long Legged Egger
Long Legged Egger Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Must have dropped a hot coal on it when I dumped the chimney starter. Maybe a Ceramic or Rutland would be better next time.

IMG_0579.jpg

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Why use a chimney starter when the EGG® does the same thing? A chimney starter starts way too much lump for what you need.

Just get you some fire starter cubes load the lump, light starter and relax.

As to the ceramic and Rutland gaskets, both of the manufacturers say their product is not intened for or reccomend to be used as a grill gasket. So use those at your own risk.

It actually looks like the burned spots won't effect your seal so you're probaly ok to just carry on without need of replacing for now.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Not a failure and no fault of the Nomex. One needs to be careful. Looks like there may have been some small pieces of lump dumped into the chimney starter.

With enough heat you will burn anything including Cotornic and Rutland. Glowing red pieces of lump is about 1,900°

One reason not to use a chimney starter. Neighbor lost the back side of their house as a piece of charcoal fell out on their wooden deck and that charcoal smoldered until the deck caught fire.

Chimney starters work well. When I tired it I got to thinking, OK I am lighting the chimney full of lump, waiting until it gets burning well then dumping it into the egg, waiting to make sure that gets the lump inside of the egg going. Although it starts well it is sort of a 2 step process.

Any of the many ways to light an egg works as well and as fast as a chimney starter.

The best advantage of not using a chimney starter is and one doesn't have to store and use yet another accessory.

Just my 2¢

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Shouldn't affect performance at all. Been using stikes napkin trick lately. A variation on it is using the a couple compartments from a cardboard egg crate - can't remember who suggested it but it works mightyfine. Yesterday I lit the small and last night the XL with a couple chunks from a drink carrier (the kind you get when you order four drinks) drizzled with a little oil - same material as the cardboard egg crates.

IMG_5292800x600.jpg

IMG_5294800x600.jpg
  • Magnus Viridis Ovum
    Options
    Man!!! Those are some big honkin' chunks of lump there! What brand are you using?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That is B&B oak - first time I have tried it. Worked well. B&B also makes a mesquite but haven't tried it - not a mesquite fan and not sure it the lump would yield a mild mesquite flavor.
  • jtriplett38
    Options
    I'm a fan of the propane torch starting method. I've tried a lot of the other lighting methods discussed on here and the torch has proven to be the fastest.