Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt - fat side down

steiner_smokr
steiner_smokr Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm making my first attempt at smoking a pork butt with the fat down today. This is opposite of everything I learned prior to Egglife, but after reading up on the forum, I've decided to give it a try.... Not sure how much of a difference it will make. ;)

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    The argument of fat up and fat down are made by some of the best cooks around. I personally like fat down. My guess is you won't notice a huge difference.
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    I did my first one (fat side down)last night. 9.6 LBS went 12 hours. New butcher, packaged butt! Will know in a couple of hours if it makes a difference and whether I go back to this butcher or not!
  • Sounds good Bob, let me know how it turns out.
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Fat side down or up is kinda rhetorical. I personally like to do my butts and brisketts fat side up as the cooking process renders the juices over the meat rather than exiting the meat to be caught or burned off.
    You may not be eating pork today starting 11 lbs @ 0700 however, the jerk chicken sounds tantilizing.
    Enjoy the cook! :P :woohoo:
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Just finished eating and it came out fine. My wife thought it was a little drier than usual but that could be the butt itself or the fact I cooked it fat side down, don't really know. I will go back to fat side up though, just a personal preference. The kids are coming over later and I'll get their take on this butt. This butt was intended for a cookout today but because of the rain here in New England it was canceled so I get to eat this one. :) hope yours comes out great!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I once read in a BBQ book that the butt has plenty of fat so just remove it. I always remove about 98% of the fat cap and have not had any problem by doing so plus I get more bark this way.

To each thier own, many ways to skin a cat. :blink:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Well, as a finished result, the butt took 4 hours longer than usual (based on 2hrs/lb theory). Overall, the bark did seem thicker which would be great on a larger butt, but this one was under 5 lbs. My opinion and plan going forward is to put the fat side up.