Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st try at Lasagna on BGE ??s

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has made up her outstanding Lasagna and I wanted to cook it on my XL BGE, was thinking of put pan on plate setter. I was just wondering what temp to use. I have seen anything from 325f to 400f. It is a meat sauce that has been pre cooked. Pretty thick as well – Thanks Eggheads

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I would go 350 indirect, take some pics. -RP
  • cook it the same way you would in your oven. ...don't set it right on the plate setter....you have to think of your egg like you would your oven. ...would you put your lasagna down on the bottom of your oven?. . .no, it would burn the crap out of the lasagna. .. so what you have to do is put your plate setter in your egg feet up with the grid on the feet and your lasagana pan on the grid. . .just like putting your lasagna pan on a rack in your oven....what time and temp do you bake your lasagna in your oven at?? . .do the same in your egg . ...

now, don't add any extra wood to your egg, the lasagna will pick up plenty of smoke flavor just from the lump charcoal ... and depending on how much smoke flavor you want know this. .. cheese picks up more smoke flavor than the tomato sauce, so if you finish your lasagna with a layer of cheese it will taste smokier than if you finish it with a layer of sauce. .. .i would suggest for the first time out that you finish with a layer of sauce on top. ...then if you like that, next time try a layer of cheese and compare which one you like better. .. ..
  • GrillDaddy
    Thanks, I plan to take some photos
  • GrillDaddy
    Tmad max beyond eggdome- Thanks for all the info, I was wondering how many times you have cooked Lasagna or some thing similar. Clearly you have a lot of insight on this type of cook.
  • i do a lot of baking/roasting/casseroles in the egg....again, once you think of it in terms of a wood burning oven, then the opportunities are endless. ...and times/temps are the same as an oven....so bake cakes, do casseroles/souffles/etc. ...and don't add a bunch of wood...the lump charcoal and a clean burning fire will add a nice "rustic" flavor to most foods. .. .

here are some picks of a few things i've done over the years. ..

here's a lasagna (notice primarily tomato sauce on top so its not too smokey tasting)

DSCN0068.jpg

osso bucco

DSCN0176.jpg

peach/blueberry crisp

DSCN0426.jpg

oxtail stew

DSCN0987.jpg

parmesian pancetta torte

DSCN1243.jpg

cheese souffle

DSCN1400.jpg

crab stuffed maniccoti

IMG_0120.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Max,

Did you ever do moussaka? Really want to try that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nope, haven't tried that one. ...i'm a big fan of pastitsio though. .. would like to try that first probably. ..maybe if i wasn't doing team "mexico" in atlanta we cold do something like that...ok, next year it will be 'team greece' in atlanta!!!!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Lasagna is so EASY! I take off the top and tent the foil. Read the instructions and put it on the egg! 350 for about 90 mins and it's done!! :whistle::lol:
  • GrillDaddy
    Max- Thanks for sharing the photos, I can not wait to give this a try.
  • GrillDaddy
    PhilsGrill - Thanks; I think I am ready