Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts cooking nicely

Options
johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am very happy to report that my butts are moving along perfectly. I lit my egg last night at about 7:30 set the dome for 225 and never looked back. It is now 12 hours later and the dome is at 210 butts are reporting in at 160 and 172 respectivly. all is well. Living up at 7000 feet I have had a hard time getting the egg to perform this well over long periods of time but I think I have it figured out. This time I packed the egg all the way up to the top with lump of course following the Elder ward method. I lit it with a hand full of lump started in the chiminey. This time I added a ring of aluminium foil between the egg and the top of the ring acting like a seal to make sure all the air was directed through the lump, seems to have worked like a charm..... I will post some shots when I open the egg, BUT NOT SOONER!!!!
J

Comments

• Smokin Squires
    Options
    Greetings from TN;
    we are practicing today for the big event with a 10# butt on an xl egg. will be trying out a new Digiq2 and pit viper fan. I inject the butt and rub with dizy dust course grind.
    cook at 250 till internal 195-200
    cup of home made apple wine in the drip pan every time i spritz with 4-1 apple juice and apple vinegar.
    using left over filtered injection for spritz works for me. smoke early with sapling hickory branch dried for a few mo and soaked in water....

recepe for injection
    1 T+ caraway seed
    1 T+ dill seed
    4 T corn syrup
    3 T worstichire sauce
    1 T+ reg grind dizy dust
    3 Cup apple juice
    3/4 Cup apple cider vinegar

roast and grind seeds combine all but the vinegar.
    bring to boil, cool, add vinegar,

Sauce
    jacks old south hickory
    jacks old south vinegar
    montgomery inn sauce
    worstichire sauce
    brown sugar
    butter
    heat and blend
    thin with filtered injection juice or jack to taste and viscosity

sharing secrets today

WoW
    driving the crazy bus 16 hrs to flavor town
    Tony Flintville TN
  • johnrezz
    Options
    sounds great,

I go easy, paprika, cyeanne pepper, cumin, salt, pepper.
    No spritzing for me, I leave it closed until it is done, moisture is not an issue for me always evident by the way the top looks when it is done.....

I did stur up the lump a little this morning but that is all I do.

Once done I will make a traditional W. NC BBQ. I might play with a few other types since I have about 16# of meat for two adults and 1 five yo.

J
  • johnrezz
    Options
    Off the egg and put to bed for a few hours.... This was the easiest long smoke I have had yet and there is still plenty of lump left, 17 hours total.....

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6705.jpg[img size=150][/img]