Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Steel Bands?

Chris
Chris Posts: 117
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if you can get stainless steel bands for the Egg? My father-in-law lives on the Atlantic Coast and we were wondering if they were available.

Comments

• Not unless they are custom made, haven't seen any but if you find some email me the location would love to offer them here in the store
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    While you're at it,why don't you see if you can come up with a CI grid for a mini! :ermm:
  • You might call the Mother Ship and see if they can be special ordered. If not call the company that makes the bands (link below) and see if they would make them.
    (http://forte-products.com/) I wouldn't hold my breath but you might get lucky.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I'll 2nd that! :ohmy:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Another option is to check out the Grill Dome. They have a size that is comparable to the Large Big Green Egg, and their grills have stainless steel bands. If you can find someone that sells both they might be able to tell you if the Grill Domes band would work on your egg, and sell you some bands.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    getting them hot dipped galvanized? I dont know if that would work or not.......
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I don't know about galvanized. I have thought of taking the band for my medium that is still in the box and getting it nickel plated though. The color changes in the nickel from the heat would look wicked crazy.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • I guess the real question is how the Eggs bands hold up by the sea. I know we must have some Eggers with experience on this.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hey Whiz we are about a 1/2 mile from the bay with no problems but the salinity is not near what it is on the Gulf. I bought a 2 year old Egg from a lady that lived on the Gulf. After 2 years of being on the gulf the bands and nest were pretty much toast. The hinge set was frozen which caused the bands to get bent while opening and the wheels on the nest were frozen. I have another friend that lives near the Gulf and is having the same issues. if stainless bands were an option which could be bought I would highly recommend them for the beach dwellers. The other option is to count on replacing the bands every 2 or 3 years. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You might consider powder coating them. Colored powder is sprayed onto bare metal with an electrostatic charge, then baked in an oven. Lots of colors available; even black. :) Or green. Even clear coat. Gloss, semi-gloss, flat, satin, wrinkle finish, hammered... lots of finish options. Very durable and should prevent rusting regardless of the conditions. Check around for local powder coating outfits.

Unless something ELSE goes wrong, I'll be picking up my unassembled Large next week and may give it a shot before assembly - if the parts will fit in my small PC oven. Not optimistic about that though.

Personally, I'd prefer polished stainless bands, but the PC stuff should hold up quite well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    In the duck hunting world they coat guns the metal parts with a flat black coating that is resistant to salt spray. Would last a lifetime I bet.....

contact a local gunsmith, I cant remember the name of this coating right now...
  • Denevan
    Denevan Posts: 24

There are a couple of posts on getting or using a SS band -- so I contacted the point of contacts from the company (Forte) that makes the band and I was told "...research and develop guys that the stainless will expand too much. It can be made but would not hold up because of the expanding problem." So maybe you are handy and can make your own - but with the cost of SS today and the fact that it may not last longer (maybe even sooner) than the reg band -- I say it is just not worth it. I am looking into powder coating...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The coefficient of thermal expansion for stainless steel is about 80% greater than that of carbon steel.  That means if your steel band gets loose, your stainless steel band will get almost twice as loose.  I think they could design around it, but maybe it's just an aesthetics problem and it's not worth it.  You can oil the metal and it'll slow down the rust.

http://www.repairengineering.com/coefficient-of-thermal-expansion.html
    I was eating dinner with the Warden..um i mean wife down in Orange Beach a couple of years back at a marina. There were two deep sea charters in front of me that each had either a medium or large BGE on the stern. Both of them had some sort of stainless steel bands or something coating the regular bands that looked like stainless. So they exist somewhere.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cool.  I'm gonna guess you just tighten them more.
    @nolaegghead cool site would stress relieving and heat treating change that ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.