Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st ever pulled pork tonight - suggestions

Options
tarheelforever
tarheelforever Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg for 2 months and tonight I will cook my first boston butt. I'm pumped and don't want to screw it up. Any suggestions?????

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Just be sure the temp is stable before you go to bed. Don't get stressed if it gets a little hotter/cooler than you want. The egg will get to a nice stable temp, leave it alone there.

Otherwise, pick a rub, good piece of meat and sauce. Pull it off around 195* and wrap in foil. Let it "rest" for about 2 hours and pull. You will do fine
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Hmmm . . . I'll muttle through a few thoughts for ya

-Make sure egg is cleaned out as to not have to worry about restricted air flow

-start with new lump, lrg pcs on bottom then med size and then small. I'd fill to top of the fire ring.

-rule of thumb seems to be 1 1/2-2 hrs per pound @225-250°

hopes this getsya started
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    Options
    I would recommend setting the alarm clock to wake up about 4-5 hours after you go to bed. Go check temps, and if everything is okay go back to bed. Make sure there is enough fuel too. Fill up firebox almost to the top.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    A couple of other things I might suggest, take the butt out of the fridge a good hour or so before you plan to put it on the smoker to let the temperature naturally rise. Also, I wouldn't put too much wood to it on your first butt, as some people's smoke tolerance differs. I use a mix of mostly pecan and a little hickory. You can always add more or different "strenghts" of wood on your next if it's not smokey enough. Also, apply a generous amount of rub to the butt. Have fun and good luck. Should be a great lunch or dinner tomorrow.
  • Bobby R
    Bobby R Posts: 17
    Options
    Tarheel - I'm a relatively new egger as well and pulled pork was one of my first cooks. The others suggestions are excellent and the only thing I'll add is that my egg temp dropped to the 185-190 range while I was sleeping and everything still turned out fantastic. Don't get frustrated when the internal temp plateaus.. that's natural.

So, keep an eye on it, relax and enjoy the process!!!
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Options
    Fat side / cap down...
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/methods/pulledpork.html

Go read what the Wolf says about pulled pork one more time before you start. It never hurts to refresh your mind and good luck. Show us pics of the final result.
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    When I did my first butt the mistake I made was not understanding the temp drop when I put the butt on. I fiddled around with the air flow until I had no idea of where I was. My best advice is a) get a stable fire going. b) use a calibrated dome temp probe. c) no peeking for at least 4-5 hours. d) enjoy it! ;)
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Work is a bummer sometimes. One thing I forgot to mention is I have a DigiII so it should be a peaceful night of sleep..

Thanks again to all.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Read the link TXTriker sent ya. Leave the lid closed. If you have a DidiQ then there should be no reason to be looking. If you want a traditional 1.5 to 2 hours per pound cook then go with at least a 250 dome. Too many people lately trying to go 220 or 210 dome and having butts go 25 and 30 hours. Ask here if you run into snags, someones always here. Good luck.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Set your DigiQ at 250 and wait, use your favorite rub and enjoy. Pork butts are the easiest thing that you will ever cook.

Good luck with your Butt.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Best advice in the whole thread...stabalize..