Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone got the number for Mythbusters?

cobrastrike
cobrastrike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I had to share this....
I got into a discussion with a fellow egger at work about cooking a Boston butt for pulled pork. I told him the way I was cooking was the way that I thought everyone cooked (250F till 200F internal, appx 12-14 hours for 7-8 lb butt). When I told him that, he almost fell out of his chair and asked why I cooked it for so long. I asked how he did his and here's what he said....
"Get the egg to inferno temp and sear each side of the butt for 5 min. Bring the temp back to 350 and wrap butt in aluminum foil and cook for appx. 2 hours and butt will be ready to pull.".
When he told me I thought there was no way for it to cook this fast (given the plateau @ 170 and holding for hours). One thing that he did tell me was that he got the bone removed from the butcher, usually cooked a 5 lb butt, and cooked with direct heat. Even at this size, I would still think at least 6 hours with the higher temp. I asked what temp he pulled the butt of at and he told me he doesn't cook by temp, but rather time. Is this even possible?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Sounds fine for SLICED pork, not pulled though.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Anything is possible, but I wouldn't be buying into that method. -RP
  • that's what I thought- fine for sliced but not to pull. I think he was secretly getting some tips now that I think about it... :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    STAY AWAY from THAT GUY! He is Dangerous and Dillusional!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle: :evil: Like AZRP said anything is possible but they gonna have to show me it's so! ;)
  • I say cook one the low and slow method and let him try it. :laugh:
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    A guy i know that thinks i'm nuts for cooking butts and ribs so long. he says 4 hours for butts and a hour for ribs max. This guy also thinks frozen $3.99 a pound filet mignon is a good steak.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    there're a million ways to cook that chunk of meat. but to barbecue it, well, by definition it's lo-and-slo.

sure. you could microwave it and pull, or do it overnight in a slow cooker.... or boil it. or make it into a ham of sorts....

but "barbecue" is a very narrow category. cooked over low heat with natural wood, usually imparting a smokey flavor.

it all comes down to preference. if he likes the food he gets from his method, that's all that counts, right? i just wouldn't say he's doing "barbecue"

if you want the texture and smokey smell from barbecue, you don't have many options.

i don't doubt he can cook it in that amount of time. i just wouldn't cook mine that way, because i prefer it another way
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Wow! That's the most reasoned, insightful and accurate response ever! Nicely stated. I prefer my pulled pork low and slow, but Stike is right, there are many ways to get pork that will pull.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Foiling would probably soften the sear of the meat. That might well work for sliced pork done temperature about 140° internal. But for pulled pork I would lay 10 bucks down against it.

I have cooked a 8# boston butt to tender pulled pork in 6.5 to 7 hours. 370° raised grid which was close to 400° dome. The results were outstanding.

Maybe I will try to do a faster cook to see what happens.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I have a real hard time cooking BB ribs much longer than 4 hours or they get overdone.

3 to 4 hours for sliced pork.

GG
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    All great professors research hard core to teach the masses. Keep it up big fella :)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Wonder why he even brought an egg?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap