Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Estimated Pork Butt Cooking Time

Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, I've got a 10 pound Butt in the fridge that I injected and rubbed over the weekend, but unfortunately was not able to get it on Saturday evening. I wanted to put it on this evening around 10:00PM, check the temp in the morning and adjust and hopefully when I got home from work at 6:00PM it would be still ok. That's 18 hours for a 10lb butt? What do you guys think? I've done plenty, but never kept up with the time per pound, as I know it varies per cut of meat. Is freezing an option? I wouldn't think so since I injected it? Let me know what the eggsperts think. Thanks.

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    General rule is 1.5 - 2 hrs. per pound, so your estimate is close. Of course, some butts cook differently than others, and some turn out to be 'turbo' butts.

Anyone to check on it during the day? Hate to see you get a pit temp drop and ruin 10# of good meat. Are you using a Guru?
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I'm SO glad you asked that question! I just brought home a 7-lb. butt (cut off from a 10-lb. butt) and I was gonna search the forum for how long per pound. Thanks, Clark. I wouldn't even think of doing it without my Guru, it's foolproof, but I still compulsively go out and check it regularly anyway because I'm a wienie. :S

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Clark,

Thanks for the advice. I can check it before I leave for work in the morning, but no one will be here until around 4:30 when my wife gets home. I guess I'll attempt and let you guys know how it turns out. Could be shoe leather, could be great. Cross your fingers and hope I didn't waste all the prep effort and meat. Thanks.
  • have you ever made two butt roast for a total of 5lbs. want to cook the two slowly but not sure on temp
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Remember, Judy, it's just a guide to help plan your meal. Sometimes a butt will go 'turbo' and cook much faster than planned. Also, if you are out of the plateau and are running out of time, you can kick up the temp or foil and put in oven until it reaches 200*.