Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops and Fixings (pic heavy)

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided it was time for some pork chops and the fixings last night.

First for the pork:

I started with two butterfly chops. I seasoned yesterday morning with Butt Shaker and Pepper. I set up the egg indirect with AJR. Cooked with Mesquite chucks and chips. Drip pan had one beer and 12 oz of water. Here are the chops just going on:

JustonGrill.jpg

Using the diggi, I tried to keep the egg around 190 degrees. It crept up to 200 a few times. When the chops hit 125 I pulled them off are wrapped in foil. Not a good picture, but here they are at 125:

Porkat125.jpg

They stayed in foil as I was cooking the sides (more to come on that later) - but I did rub them up with evoo and rub again before they went back on the grill:

RubbedupPork.jpg

I also set up the egg to cook direct with a raised ci grid. I got the egg to 400. Here they go back on:

ChopsonGrill.jpg

I have used the indirect to direct cooking method a lot lately. I really like to get smoked flavor in my meat, and this seems to work out well. I have also done turkey filets and pork tenderloin this way as well. Does anyone else use this technique or am I just making extra work?

On to the sides. I had to get both the large and small pumping:

TwoEggs.jpg

Thanks to some help from fellow eggers yesterday, I will say I successfully cooked cedar planked pototoes. Here are those pics:

Planked:

RawPotatoes.jpg

Just on:

PotatoesonGrill.jpg

I tired to turn and move them about every 10 minutes or so. Here they were at 10 minutes:

Potatoesat10.jpg

Here at 20 minutes:

Potatoeshalfway.jpg

Finished:

FinishedPotatoes.jpg

My oldest (four and a half) thinks the Small Egg is his. He has named in "the little guy." He always has to help!

BenandSmall.jpg

Good picture other than the trailer home in the background. You don't know how bad I want to bull doze that eye soar!

Anyway - the little guy smoked up some beans.

Just on:

BeansonSmall.jpg

Finished (they don't do much):

BeansCooked.jpg

It was a two plate meal. I am still full!

Plated.jpg

It was great BBQ!

Comments