Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole lotta firsts for me

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First attempt using CWM’s method;

First wet ribs;

First jar of Blues Hogg regular sauce;

First time not using zippyrub as the foundation flavor;

First time cookin ribs commando (no foil);

Fist time using a spray bottle to add liquid during a cook;

First time using cherry chunks instead of hickory or mesquite.

End result, different from what I am used to, which is a dry rubbed rib without a drop of added anything. These came out great, although I think I made a few mistakes. First of all, I usually use baby backs, these were spares, & the time difference needed threw me off. Second, I didn’t trim some of them properly, leaving me with one very small ½ rack, two medium sized, & one that would’ve flipped Fred’s car over (not shown in the pictures). I also discovered that there are additional pieces of anatomy lurking around in that meat I was unaware existed :huh: , some kind of cartilage or something.. Also, I didn’t get a good smoke ring or a lot of smoke flavor, not sure if it was the hourly spritzing or the choice of wood.

Nevertheless, we devoured the three smaller racks & I left the Flintstone rack on for another 2 hours, will reheat that tonight & finish it off.

The texture of this meat was excellent, had a little more bite that what I am used to, not as tender & falling off the bone, but by the 3rd rib I ate I realized this may be better.

The Blues Hogg is outstanding.

This is a rub that 4ara brought back from Jamaica for me, not jerk, much sweeter, very interesting:

IMG_3813.jpg

On the ribs:

IMG_3812.jpg

Does anyone see a dizzy doughnut in this pile of trimmings’ future:

IMG_3814.jpg

About 5 hours in:

IMG_3816.jpg

Sauced up:

IMG_3819.jpg

ahhhhh:

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    They look good Marc, you got me craving them. I might just have to do a couple slabs at the Mini Fest.
  • Looking good its always nice to try new thing
  • Zippylip
    Pat, cooking ribs, somehow I just can't picture that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • looking good from here
    dizzy donut or pounded porkzaa?
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Marc,

I was afraid you were going down the list of firsts all the way to your high school prom :laugh: Just kidding.

Ribs look good, I have two spare racks on today tryng a different approach also.
  • Zippylip
    definintely the doughnut, more of a pain in the a** to make but they went to rave reviews by that evening's batch of hut hangers
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    I think the most pronounced difference was the texture, I usually do a 3-2 method which is uncommon, but following the 2 hours in foil I let them cool, refrigerate overnight, then slice when cold, reheat & eat, so its a long process but the end result is excellent, & the smoke flavor really develops overnight. These, however, may have had a better texture, like I said, not as tender, but I think I liked it more, will have to keep messin around with it...
    happy in the hut
  • NoVA Bill
    That's an interesting take on the overnight and reheat. I'm assuming you reheat in HDAF?
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    You make an interesting observation about the lack of a pronounced smoke ring. I ran into that earlier this year Who Stole My Smoke Ring.

After several times, I noticed that the problem started when I started using a deep dish pizza pan filled with liquid as a drip pan. I was using the liquid just to keep the fat from burning when it hit the pan.

I've switched to
    1) raising the drip pan up off the plate setter so it doesn't get so hot anyway (used a few evenly sized bolts for it to sit on) AND
    2) I use very little liquid in the pan, if any now.

Since doing that, my smoke ring has come back. So you very well may be right about the spritzing.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Great looking grub there Marc! :laugh:
  • Zippylip
    I do wrap them in that, & at the end of the cook I open it up, let the steam out, then re-wrap to refrigerate, & yes, reheat most of the time in the same foil. Other times, I pop them back on the egg out of the foil if I happen to have the egg lit for some other reason, or into the oven or toaster oven, I have even nuked them, & they come out great really no matter how I reheat them
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    just went & found my old post where I explain the whole thing in more detail:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=545533&catid=1
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Chris, yea, I only ever used liquid in a drip pan once, it was for a butt many years ago & I had problems with it, never went back. In this instance, I am not sure if it was the spritzing or the wood I used, or maybe something else... I have used cherry on many other things however & always get a beautiful ring... so I don't know what happened
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    thanks Ted, see you in 2 months buddy
    happy in the hut
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    nice
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    As usual, your cook looks awesome!
  • NoVA Bill
    Marc, thanks now I know why I didn't see it before, Nov 2008 before NoVA Bill on the forum :laugh:

Your recipe is now in my BBQ book of recipes.

Thanks!
  • Great looking Ribs Mark

Ross
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Mr. Zippylip: Good looking cook there. I thought I smelled something good cooking here in Garnet Valley; didn't realize the smell could travel all the way here from West Chester.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i prefer spares for me. b-backs for when guests are over. spares take much longer and i don't really go for "falling apart" generally. nice pull, comes away clean... that's my goal.

as for no smoke ring. really can only be a couple things. warm meat (going on "room temp" will cut down on the ring), or no smoke at the start of the cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Zippylip
    ugly, we are neigbors mang, I drive right by your neck of the woods every day
    happy in the hut
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I had no idea of this. I'll have to experiment.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    You know the first time I used CWMs method I was really not wowed. Being the perfectionist that I am. I kept at it. I love 'em now. I suggest the same for you. Keep at it. There are small changes you can experiment with.
    Great post!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Zippylip
    I will keep at it because as good as they were, I know they will be better when done correctly, & it seems more people like the wet ribs. Next time I will actually follow the method more precisely; I was by no means disappointed with these, other than the things I pointed out which were relatively minor, me, my wife, & my buddy who was over for dinner gobbled them up without coming up for air
    happy in the hut
  • cookn biker
    I hear ya. That sausage I did yesterday I cut into it and, damn, no ring. What the heck. They were room temp when they hit the egg. Live, learn and keep at it. :)
    Have a great day!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Nice looking cook Marc and
    BTThumbsUp.jpg

What did the kids and wife say about them?

btw, thanks, now I am hungry... :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    thanks timothy, wife loved them, she is a bbq sauce gal after all, I'm the dry guy, kids weren't here for them, but my buddy Bill enjoyed them. I am just getting ready to fire up the egg to reheat the last 1/2 rack & grill some pineapple & peaches
    happy in the hut
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Marc.................If this is a first.......I can just imagine a second... :laugh: looks really great!!
  • Zippylip
    thanks Beli, I am looking forward to the second, & third.....
    happy in the hut