Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Fire

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
What's the secret to getting a really hot fire for grilling? I made my usual fire with a mixture of large and small lump, lit with firestarters and let it burn with the both dampers totally open. The most I could get it to was about 500. I have a large BGE
Thanks!
Bob

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BobM,
    You probably need more lump in there. The only other thing could be a grate that is clogged with tiny pieces or lots of small pieces restricting airflow. Try filling the firebox 1/2 to 3/4 full.[p]Tim

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BobM,
    take the cast-iron daisy wheel COMPLETELY off. not just open.[p]when i want 600, i leave the daisy on, opened as far as possible.
    when i go above that, for much hotter temps, i take it completely off.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buck Shot
    Options
    BobM,[p]Sounds picky but when I want to sear steak at say 700 degrees I take out the charcoal make sure the holes underneath are clear then put in the large size pieces of charcoal in first then medium size on top of that and then the smaller pieces on top of that. Then rake out the bottom vent the ashes. This gives you maximum air flow and getting 700 degrees is no problem.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    BobM,
    In addition to what the others offer, check your firebox to make sure the bottom opening is lined up with the bottom intake.
    Cheers,
    G.

• SouthernMan
    Options
    Buck Shot,
    I agree with the idea of a clean air space. I go the extra step of using my shop vac to clean out all the fines and ash from the air space around the fire box. My egg will get to >700 in short order when I do that.[p]Kinsey

• Thanks guys for the info. Might it be fair to say, the larger the lump the higher the temp?
  • Fairalbion
    Options
    SouthernMan,
    I agree. I have been surprised at how quickly ash and chips fill up the space immediately outside the firebox's vent holes. If the area is kept clean and the lump is arranged from the bottom up with large, medium then small lumps, the fire gets established much quicker and burns more evenly and reliably at both high and low temperatures.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • BobM,
    I would say the greater the airflow the higher the temp. Arranging the lump as below allows oxygen to feed the smaller pieces on top:[p]Top --> Small
    Mid way --> Medium
    Bottom --> Large[p]If you are going for a quick high temp cook, I would avoid clogging the fire with small chips, charcoal dust or ash.

• regularguy
    Options
    site1111.jpg
    <p />BobM, yep on all of the above,but a little blower (got this one at a garage sale for 25 cents) works wonders! have heard people using hair dryers too!! turn the blower at an angle and it's like a cyclone effect, it keep's getting hotter,not sure how hot it would get. I have a steel grate so it has alot more holes for air.