Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling with a Mini

Paul58
Paul58 Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We've been debating getting a mini for our RV, but the guy at our Egg Dealer keep trying to talk us out of one. He says a small totable Webber is the way to go. Granted it would be way cheaper, but we really love our Medium BGE and like the thought of being able to travel with the mini. Anyone out there traveling with a mini BGE? How's it working out for you? We mainly just weekend in our RV, and it's almost always just the two of us. Any thought on how to transport one in the RV to prevent damage? Can anyone provide the dimensions, (height width) so we can ensure it will fit in the storage compartment in our RV? Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• Traveling with a small or mini is real easy. A carrier is pretty handy for moving one around. I have brought mine in a boat more than once to a friends camp, about an 8 hour drive to another friends place, and on a plane. B)

Small and Mini ready for a ride
    IMG_3522800x600.jpg

Small and Mini geaux done da bayou - Flip the carrier over and put the BGE on top with a rock and the green feet.
    IMG_2836800x600.jpg

Always buckle up for safety :woohoo:
    IMG_4685800x600.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I built a little table/transporter for my mini, here are some pictures of it, & check out my post a few below (hut away from hut), the mini travels great. As far as the dealer's advice, a small Webber is also good, it is lighter & cheaper, but at the end of the day, it isn't an egg, so it is really a matter of preference:

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    th_minidimensions003.jpg

every mini dimension you could ever want click the pic

also scroll down to "wannabe" click his handle will take you to profile click on recent posts he traveled last summer and is traveling this one too with the mini
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Paul,
    Get the Mini, I just pick mine up and put in the back of the SUV strap it in or find a place that it is secure and of we go. It is an awesome little cooking machine. Someday I will make a nice little carrier like the others. :)
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    I have carried the Mini in our RV for two years and would not leave home without it.
  • Paul58
    Thanks all on the feedback! Zippy and Frank, I like your ideas, I was thiinking of something similar but with some hefty handles on either side to make retrieving it from the RV a tad easier.

Bill, anyway to slow down that slide show with the dimensions? They zip by faster than I can make out the numbers! Gotta make sure it will fit in the basement of the RV!
  • lowercasebill
    put your cursor over the picture and a controll bar will show at the bottom you can pause.. if that does not help let me know i will post individual pix
  • Paul58
    Bill,

Thanks, that worked fine. Is the overall width (with bands) about 12"? I'm basing this in the pic of the inside diameter and adding a couple inches for the thickness of the walls. I did not see a measurement of the overall width.
  • lowercasebill
    12 in is about right for the egg alone the hinge stickss out 1+ then there are bolts on the otherside.
    don't for get the handle
    for packing clearance i would go with 14 in. diameter..and that does not include wiggle room
  • Love the private plane pic, Frank! What kind of plane? All the seats rear-facing? And where were you taking your egg? Fun times.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX