Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas EggFest 2003

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
338%3A3%3C3523232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3DXROQDF%3E232345%3B9%3A%3B959ot1lsi
<p />We just had the first of many Texas EggFests. Grillmeister did a good job of setting it up. His brisket entry in the BBQ Contest was number "1" in our opinion and that's all that matters. Next year promises to be even bigger and better so get your Egg'n shoes on.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Texas_Eggheads.jpg
    <p />Thanks Spring Chicken. It was great to meet you.[p]It’s been a long couple of weekends. First the huge Eggtoberfest in Atlanta followed by our Texas Eggfest in Temple, TX.[p]See the link below to view lots of pics posted on my web site.[p]We had a great time with Spring Chicken, Lawn Ranger, Mollyshark, Haywire, Ravnhaus, & Chef Fubar and family. All in all, we had 19 people, plus a number of folks who stopped by who had eggs, but don’t follow along with this forum.[p]The venue of a BBQ Cookoff & Music Fest made for a fun Friday night. Mrs. GrillMeister and I arrived around 3:30 to begin setting up. BBQ Outfitters of Austin arrived around 5 PM and we began putting eggs and nests together. Getting a number of eggs to cook on proved a bit daunting. Two colleagues of mine purchased large eggs, and I used this fest as an excuse [wink] to get my second large. We had two who planned on buying smalls, but had a change of plans at the last minute, so I used that as an excuse to move up my purchase schedule for a small [wink, wink] woo hoo![p]Friday night was a long night after Mrs. GrillMeister & MollyShark left. The music was great and there was lots of smoke in the air. I took a nap in my Tahoe at about 2:00 AM for a couple of hours before I started my brisket for the Backyard Division Entry. It was the first time using the BBQ Guru and I must say it “Rocks”. I’m looking forward to a good nights sleep on my overnight cooks in the future. The only problem is I misjudged the time when it needed to cook (based on 1.5 hours per lb.) and it still had a way to go come judging time. I used Dizzy Pig’s Cowlick rub on it and it gave it a nice flavor.[p]So far, the weather cooperated, but Saturday morning was cloudy and cool. This soon changed as the sun came out and the clouds went away. We couldn’t have asked for better weather. MollyShark was the first to show Saturday morning and she brought some Starbucks with her. Thanks Molly! She brought chicken to try out Ken Stones rubs, and all three rubs turned out great.[p]Haywire and his family arrived, followed by Lawn Ranger, Spring Chicken, Ravnhaus, Chef Fubar & families. We started cooking left & right. As Lawn Ranger wrote, the folks hit a local grocery store and came back with things to cook on eggs. Spring Chicken’s ABTs’ were a hit and we went through 20 Johnsonville brats in record time.[p]My new small egg was broken in with a group effort on a Trex cook of 3 New York Strips, followed by Haywires T-Bone direct on the coals. My little fan did not like the temperature of the egg when Haywire used it to try to blow some ash off of the coals, but it did survive minus some performance [grin]. Trex, we missed ya man!!![p]We handed out door prizes and folks began their journey home. At 3:30 I had to turn in my brisket for judging. It did not place, but it still tasted good and it did not last long. It was great fun for a first competition effort. Just having fellow eggers give it a thumbs up is all that’s needed.[p]All in all, it was great fun cooking ribs, brisket, brats, chicken, pizza, & ABTs with the Texas Egghead family. My thanks go out to Spring Chicken who got things started by organizing the lists and sparking interest in all of us, BBQ Outfitters of Austin/Roundrock who delivered discounted eggs and Mike for putting them together, Nature Boy & Chef Will for providing rubs for door prizes, Lawn Ranger for providing a grid lifter door prize (we still have to determine who won that one), and the BGE folks in Atlanta for more goodies, a banner, & support for our little get together. Most of all, I’d like to thank Mrs. GrillMeister who’s help was crucial in pulling this off and making sure we had enough eggs to cook on [wink, wink]. [p]Everyone is looking forward to next year, where I’m sure it will be bigger & better as this grass roots approach begins to snowball and grow. Thanks to all again for a great time![p]GrillMeister[p]

[ul][li]2003 Texas Eggfest Pics 800x600[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    GrillMeister,
    Thanks for posting/sharing those pics..looks like a great start to a fine event, I`m sure all had a great time..[p]Wess

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Spring Chicken,[p]Great pics, thanks!
  • GrillMeister
    WessB,[p]Thanks. It was alot of fun. I got some of the best sleep last night in a long time. Hit the hay at 11:30 PM and the next thing I knew it was 6:30 already. [grin][p]Mrs. GrillMeister and I will try to make Waldorf next year.[p]Cheers![p]Ed[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    GrillMeister,
    THat looks like it was a blast. Your brisket looks pretty good in my opinion too!![p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    GrillMeister,
    Bring it on..we would love to see you up here..and I garauntee we will show you a good time...[p]Wess

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    WessB,[p]
    We should try to make this upcoming Eggfest the best one yet. I know have two brothers committed to coming. Also, a cousin or two plus another brother may be up for it this year. What can we do to make this year even bigger and better than ever?[p]Heee,
    cornfed

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    GrillMeister,[p]Pics look great. Looks like y'all had a grand time. Those NY strips look like they turned out famously.[p]I guess you read my note explaining my absence - building a house is a pain in the %^&($! I was so sorry to miss out on all the fun. Next year is a must.[p]One final thanks for putting together what appears to have been a great success. I'm looking forward to next year (or sooner!!)[p]TRex
  • GrillMeister
    TRex,[p]Yep, we missed ya, but we all know, poop happens.[p]I'm glad to have met you in Atlanta at the Eggtoberfest. I get to Houston a couple of times a month. Know any good places for ribs there? I've grown pretty critical BBQ restaurants lately. [grin][p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Squeeze,[p]Thanks. It was 6 lbs & change, so I though 9 to 10 hours should do it, but I used the BBQ Guru and it kept my temp rock solid at 185, but then again, it's directions talk about a 14 to 18 hour cook. I cut it in half to prepare for the judges, and wrapped one half in foil and put back on the egg. The other half vanished quickly.[p]I'm going to do another brisket next weekend with the BBQ Guru and let you all know how it turns out and how well I sleep. [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    GrillMeister,
    I am saving my pennies for a Guru. DO you think it is worth it at least for the piece of mind at night? Is Shotgun Fred still doing BGE pricing too? [p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    GrillMeister,
    Your pictures were great. I really wish I had been there. Maybe next year. It looks like you really put a lot of effort into it. Thanks to you and Spring Chicken for getting the Texas Eggfest off the ground.[p]Here's to T-E-2 in '04![p]Bob

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    GrillMeister,[p]First of all, being from the southeast, I prefer pork ribs - i.e., babybacks. This may sound crazy, but my favorite baby back ribs are at Houstons. They do a similar method as a lot of us do on the Egg - indirect, foil, direct.[p]Just my thoughts . . . [p]TRex
  • GrillMeister,[p]Lately I've been using my guru to do butterflied leg of lamb at 350 or thereabouts. [p]I am not sure why but it takes a little longer than when I did them at 350 without the guru. maybe 10/15 minutes longer.[p]The results are to die for. I still get a nice char crust, but I'm also getting an inch thick band of rare meat when I cook it to 140º surrounded by a well-cooked quarter-inch band. It looks the way sushi grade tuna looks when it's been grilled just a few minutes on each side. [p]searI've also been adding about 1/2 cup of home-made red wine vinegar I get from DiBruno Bros in Philly's Italian market. Really takes the lamb over the top.
  • GrillMeister
    Squeeze,[p]Yep, it's worth it's weight in gold, cause when Mama's not happy, nobody's happy. Mrs. GrillMeister can hear my Remote Temp alarm go off at night and that wakes her up even though I may be on the couch in the living room. [p]I figure the BBQ Guru pays for itself after a couple or three overnight cooks. It depends on how much value you place on getting a good nights sleep and keeping the better half in a good mood. [grin][p]Once I brought this up, I got the OK to get one.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas