Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket time -Help Please

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so my gasket is toasted, likely due to misalignment of the dome. No biggie, I did a high burn to clean the egg, and finish off the gasket.

So, I have a replacement BGE gasket, my can of super 77, my scraper, and my little foam "brush".

I've given it a bit of a scrape already - but I have some questions:

Should I take the dome right off? I've seen a pic (somewhere) where someone took the dome off and inverted it into the base (cushioned with some rags) to work on. I can reach it pretty good while its on, but not quite as easy at the hinge.

How much scraping is necessary? I have it fairly smooth - but still quite black do I have to get it all off? Not sure if the scraper is going to do it all.

If I take it apart, at which point should I re-assemble - before or after I put the new gasket on? Bearing in mind there is that dome alignment issue.

Once the gasket is installed, I'll let it sit for a couple of days then do a low-slow cook.

Any pointers / tips are welcome!

Cheers :)

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You shouldn't need the glue. but, it won't hurt. Get the surfaces pretty clean. I use the following procedure whenever I replace a gasket :

Loosen the band on the top and remove the dome. Let the band open up, as in the lid open position, so you can have better access to the bottom gasket. Scrape the bottom gasket off with a putty knife or wood chisel. Clean as well as you can with alcohol (denatured, or rubbing) and remove as much as the old adhesive as you can by scraping and rubbing with the chisel and paper towels. Place the lid on the base in the inverted position and repeat the above instructions for removing the base gasket. Cut the new (replacement) gasket in two equal halves and apply one half to the lid, remove the lid and set aside. Apply the other half of the gasket to the base. Put the top band in the closed position at this point being very careful to apply the pressure on the hinge only and NOT on the band itself else it may bend. Put the lid in place, adjust the bands as you did in the original assembly, and tighten the band bolts and you're good to go......

Also, you can let it sit overnight before cooking, but, there's no need to wait any longer than that!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Not sure what has been suggested above.

I have done it both ways and it seems faster and easier to remove the bands.

If you are using Nomex and there is no adhesive on the Nomex, put the Nomex in the clothes dryer for 15 minutes.

To clean the surfaces and draw out some of the dirt in the ceramics use 91% alcohol and a lint free rag. I like the blue heavy duty automotive paper towels. Use plenty of alcohol and work in short sections. Let the alcohol soak and sit and you will find the surface will clean up quickly and easily.

Follow the instructions on the adhesive can to prepare the surfaces. When installing the Nomex work short sections and do not stretch.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ottawa....This site should be helpful. See the "projects" page. Good luck!
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Projects.php
  • egret
    Options
    Not sure what you're not sure about. I've done several gasket replacements using this procedure and it works great. Removing the bands is totally unnecessary and involves extra work and, usually, aggravation.....especially for someone who has little experience at doing this.
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Not using nomex - just a BGE replacement gasket.

Did some more scraping, but I think I'll take the dome off then hit it with the alcohol / shop-towels to clean it up good.

I do want this to NOT take too much time, but I don't want to have to do it again in the near future. I've only had the puppy since april so I'm hoping I get it set up {cough} perfectly, and be ready to go.

I'm only letting it sit for a couple of days because I'm going to the lake for the weekend - back early sunday to do some ribs.

Thanks and cheers!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If you don't want to do it again in the near future, you should put on a Nomex gasket. Check with BGE and they will probably send you one for free.

I used plastic cable ties to hold the spring closed while I removed the bands.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

My saying "not sure" was with regard to what may have been posted before I posted my response. It just so happened that your post was the first and only response before my post was logged.

This neither here nor there, however I have replaced gaskets 9 times on my large and medium eggs. Not bragging, I have just had some peculiar issues with those two eggs which have resulted in gasket failures.
    I have completed the replacements both dome on and dome off.

For me, John, I have found removing the bands to clean and replace the gasket set is easier and quicker. I was not criticizing or even referring to your comments, sorry if my response sounded that way.

Counting taking the bands off, gasket removal and a good surface cleaning, on a large takes me between 15 to 20 minutes.

If the dome alignment happens not to be good, the bands have to be loosened, adjustment made and then re-tightened. At that point there wouldn't be much different in removing the bands in the first place.

If someone wants to remove and replace the gasket set with the dome on, so be it, and certainly have no problem. There is no reason the dome on replacement will be any better or worse install.

Kent
  • egret
    Options
    OK, I'll accept that you didn't see my post before responding since it was only about 11 minutes afterwards. I don't know why you've had all that gasket replacing going on considering how long you've been around here and how long you've owned your eggs. I do the troubleshooting and follow-ups on all my dealer customers and I've never seen anyone anywhere near having the gasket problems you've had. I know you do a lot of cooking, but, it sure seems like your experiences are disproportionate to most others.
    Whatever, you're a real asset to the group and we appreciate you being here! :cheer:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I want to be clear (for other eggers), my gasket replacements are not at all typical and some of them completely my fault and not that of the egg or gasket.

I had to replace the large gasket a second time due to alignment problems. The other failures were on the medium. Some of the problems mine and some not and some due to doing some of the tests I have done.

The resolve on the medium ended up being a dome replacement followed by a base replacement, all under warranty. It is always best to buy from an authorized dealer.

As for the 11 minute delay in responding, at times I may start a response and have to jump to another browser tab and do some other work and then get back to the forum post.

Kent
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    I had already purchased the replacement one before I'd heard of the nomex - so, I'll go with it. If (when?) I have to do it again its nomex-city!

Cheers
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hey Forum,
    For those of you looking for what I believe to be a pretty near permanent solution, I recommend trying Permatex Copper automotive gasket stuff. I installed it a few months ago as per the advice of someone else here and the stuff seems to be indestructible. Anyone interested??