Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem Solved!

Options
OpusXcellent
OpusXcellent Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About a week and a half ago I bought a 17in cast iron skillet and when i got it it was too big to fit don on the grid and too small to hang from the rim by its handles and i didnt want to cut them off so I made a mini extended grid for it

Picture7004.jpg

the skillet set up

Picture7005.jpg

and just slightly above the rim

Picture7006.jpg

I handles are still slightly to big to close the lid but that's OK most wanted it to turn the egg into a griddle for sliders, blackened fish and breakfast

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I hope that hardware you added in there is not galvanized..if so it will put off some nasty stuff when you burn it...and personally I prefer to close my dome, I would cut the handles at least enough to close the egg..but that's just my preference...
  • OpusXcellent
    Options
    ya its stainless steel
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    No problems then.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    aw wess. that's not gonna happen.

yer gonna make me type this again aintcha? hahaha

you need direct welding temps, around 1800 degrees.

the thing folks don't realize is that if you COULD hit those temps, then stainless would be ass bad or worse than galvanized fumes. galvy fumes are short termed, and repeated exposure is actually ok. they won't kill you.

stainless fumes, however ARE dangerous, from the nickel chromium, among other things.

you just can't reach those temps on the metal in an egg, and if you DID, the stainless would be worse than the galvy.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    OE,

Is that unistrut on the crossers?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I think you have the best excuse in the world to add an XLBGE to the family. Wish I had an excuse that good but then I'd have to start a family and that ain't happening any time soon. :lol:

Gator

• OpusXcellent
    Options
    ya I just punt one bar across but the grid is attached in the corners so its pretty sturdy
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you might consider adding a loop handle. I did to my 15 inch cast iron skillet. makes for easy handling. Also, for sliders, a wok cover works great for the quick steam method or melting cheese with sliders.

saltpeppergarlicflat002.jpg

woktopburgers.jpg

If your set-up doesn't work out, might try the spider inverted. then you could access the lump (add smoke) by only handling the skillet.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Thanks Tom I like the loop handle idea!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I like your problem solving.....
    But I oersonaly would still like to be able to close the dome adding an additional demention to cooking with the skillet.
    I like the idea of "constructing" a loop type of handle