Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We completed our first attempt at pizza yesterday evening. I am an experienced pizza maker but this was our first egg attempt, and we used our normal dough recipe, which makes a loose dough, upon suggestions of previous postings. The recipe uses 2 cups of warm water, 1 T. dry yeast, 1 T honey, and 1 T salt, all dissolved and imxed in a mixer, then adding 5 C all-purpose good flour and mixing with a breadhook for 8-10 minutes, allowing to rise for 1.5-2 hours, and subdividing into 5 doughballs which are allowed to rise overnight in a risingbox in the fridge. We take out about 2 hours before using. We kept our egg at 600°, used the plate-setter legs up, the grill with green feet on top and the pizza stone over the feet. We made a margherita, a mushroom-gorgonzola-radicchio pizza, and a chicken-artichoke-fontina pizza, all of which turned out quite perfectly. I have photos of all, including the bottoms, but cannot figure out how to attach photos. (For that matter, neither have I ever received clearance for my numerous activation requests.)

Comments

• [http://gallery.me.com/aquaticdoc#100008]

Hopefully, this will allow access to the photos of the pizzas described in my previous posting.

Bruce
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    you need to upload the photos to an image hosting site like Photobucket and then copy & paste the share code in your message
  • Sooner Egg
    sorry for the mulitple posts, sticky mouse button :whistle:
  • Sooner Egg
    click on "share" then get a link code to post on forums such as this one and it will look something like this

DSC00858.jpg
  • cahuck
    cahuck Posts: 31
    Hi Bruce -

Your Mac gallery isn't as easy to use as photobucket.com (another free hosting service) to get the ultimate url you need to link to the pic on a forum but it does work. I Mac too but am at work on a PC using IE browser right now. If I open one of your thumb nails and then right click "properties", copy the url that comes up at teh bottom of that pop up window (then paste that url into my browser to check) you do get the ultimate url.

Next, type your message then click the little "Img" button above the text field, paste your url, then click the "Img" button again. Fianlly, I hit "preview" before "submit" to double check.

Here's proof - web.jpg?ver=12500142450001
  • I am hopeful that this was done correctly through Photobucket. Thanks for the guidance, all. On a positive note, we didn't have any burnt bottoms, and while these took longer to cook than in our indoor wood-fired pizza oven, it was clearly worth it. The smoky flavor was distinct and wonderful.

IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Looks wonderful! It took me an entire year to use a pizza screen and it made all the difference in the world for me. Keep sharing the pics!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sounds great, bruce. i kept waiting for the shoe to drop. kept waiting for the "and it was horrible!" hahahaha

welcome aboard.

sorry about the activation issue. some folks seem to have a lot of trouble. post in the "forum feedback" section, and WPB will take care of you.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • i created a new account here just to reply to this..

finally, someone who knows how to make a real margherita pizza!! ;) you see so many feeble imitations and mystifying variations that it's great to see the real thing. (i would have given the basil a coarse chiffonade but that's just preference.. at least you put it on raw -- unlike far too many pizza joints!) also, your dough's appearance, ingredients and procedure is the same as mine except for the honey. all the pizzas look fantastic!!

anyway, as for introduction, i don't have an Egg, because i live in an apartment -- but i hope to buy a house within the next year, and one of the first purchases will probably be a Big Green Egg! :laugh:

cheers

capsaicin
  • Our pizza sauce is simply fresh plum tomatoes, olive oil, chopped garlic, smoked Spanish paprika, black pepper and kosher salt roasted in the Egg until the tomatoes are soft and squishy, then mashed with a potato masher. Once mashed, we add chiffonaded fresh basil--the basil becomes bitter if cooked with the tomatoes.

If there is interest, I can post photos of that.

Bruce
  • awesome!! in the egg, even.. i for one would love to see the pics
  • We will take photos next time, but the process is pretty simple. We use a casuela, a Spanish glazed terra cotta cooking pan (got all of our through the Spanish Table. [http://www.spanishtable.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TST&Category_Code=3138]

We have a bunch which we use in our pizza oven, but they work great in the Egg, although one needs to get used to black instead of brown. Roma's are available year around, and make a great sauce. You just periodically stir so they don't burn, but a little black skin doesn't hurt anything. Mash when soft throughout, and wrinkled skin on all.

Bruce