Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub then mustard or mustard then rub???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was checking out Tim's website before I put my babyback ribs on a short while ago. Unless I read incorrectly, one page says put mustard on first, then rub; and another says put rub on first, then mustard. Hmmm...my ribs have been on for about l/2 hour now, with rub on first, then mustard. Someone tell me I did it right!!! Also, is there such a gadget as a remote device for dome temp so I don't have to keep running out to see the temp? That would be sooooo convenient. Gotta go check my temp now....

Comments

• Cindy,
    I usually do rub,mustard,rub
    I don't think there is a law about the order you did it, just have fun doing it.
    as for as your therm. check out

[ul][li]redi-chek[/ul]
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Cindy,
    Honestly, I think there is no "Right" way to do it. If you put rub on then mustard, try them, if they are good, great. Next time try it the opposite way and then decide for yourself which you like better. With the egg, it is hard to mess up any food. My 2 cents for what it is worth...[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Cindy, ok, I'll tell you - "You did it right!" Like everyone else said, I'm not sure there is a wrong way but I like to put the rub directly on the and then mustard. if you put mustard first it has a tendency to cover well, so that additional rub may not make it to the meat. Either way, I bet they are pretty good.

• Squeeze, "with the egg there is no "wrong" way to do it!" Absolutly CORRECT! WELL SAID ... It always comes out GREAT!!! EVEN if YOU do it WRONG...Love that EGG!!

• Wil,
    That gadget is just what I'm looking for??? Anyone out ther in eggville tried it??

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I'm a mustard first kinda guy, Cindy. I think it makes a better crust.[p]Jim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cindy,
    Mustard first gives the rub sumthin to adhere too. Rubbing first, and then smearing the mustard seems to spread the rub around unevenly. I use oil instead of mustard sometimes, and the oil goes first.[p]But like the kind folks below say, either way you is in fer some good eatins.
    Have fun....and a yeeeeehaa to ya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cindy,
    yes and works great

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S09_29_9917_43_10.jpg
    <p />Cindy, there is no right way, only the way that works best for you. I have a tendancy to do the rub, the mustard and then a little more rub - it works for me![p]Life is Good! :~}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's Bbq[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Cindy, as for the remote wireless thermometers I love them! While I can't speak for the redi-check brand I do have a NuTemp 701 with a special high temp probe which will tolerate 1200° temp before frying - I cooked my first one. I put that one in harms way in the dome for the very reason you mention. I also have one from Sharper Image which I use for meat. Yes it is neat to be able to stay in touch with Mr Egg from inside - especially when it is cold, or raining or during an over night cook. My suggestion is go for it! Life isn't a dress rehearsal and if you want it - get it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Cindy,
    My new Redi Check made a triumphant maiden voyage last weekend; a 20-hour cook. Couldn't have done without it.
    Cheers,
    Gretl