Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine-Butt Chicken Results

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having done many beer-butt chickens I was anxious to try something different.[p]We put wine, garlic and onion in the sitter and decided to rub the chicken with Char-Crust's Roto-Roast. This was a good combo. Very appealing flavor. The Roto-Roast is very simple and allowed the subtleness of the wine to come through.[p]The five pound chicken was cooked to 180* in the thigh. This took an hour and a half at 350*.[p]Fritz

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Fritz,[p]Sounds great. I have some pork chops getting ready to throw into a marinade this afternoon during lunch, cooking them tonight. The marinade is red wine, red wine vinegar, misc. fresh (garden is starting to produce already) spices and juniper berries. Thought it would be interesting. Glad to hear of your success with the wine in the egg, now I'm looking forward to tonight even more.[p]Troy
  • JFK
    JFK Posts: 12
    Options
    Fritz,
    I have a few questions if you have moment to respond.[p]Did you put anything else in the bottle of wine?
    How much wine was left in the bottle?
    Did you brine it first?
    Did you use indirect heat for the entire process?[p]Thank you Fritz. I have been using an egg for three weeks and am trying as many recipes as possible.[p]Cheers,
    JFK[p]

• JFK
    Options
    Fritz,
    I have a few questions if you have moment to respond.[p]Did you put anything else in the bottle of wine?
    How much wine was left in the bottle?
    Did you brine it first?
    Did you use indirect heat for the entire process?[p]Thank you Fritz. I have been using an egg for three weeks and am trying as many recipes as possible.[p]Cheers,
    JFK[p]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    JFK,[p]I used a chicken sitter. I put about a cup or less of wine in it. I put nothing but garlic and onion in with the wine. I beleive a simple rub of kosher salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper would do if you did not have the Char-Crust Roto-Roast.[p]Fritz
    [ul][li]Willie's Chicken Sitters[/ul]
  • JFK
    Options
    Fritz,
    Thanks for the link and the info Fritz.[p]Cheers,
    JFK