Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying Egg instead of gas

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am debating built in gas grill vs the Egg. Any suggestions.

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    C Nich,
    I understand your dilema. I too had that choice and decided on the BGE. And as my wife now tells everyone she meets, it was the best investment we have made in a LONG time. Go for the Egg, you will not regret it.[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • C Nich,
    so what is the debate????. .. can you smoke a brisket in a gasser at 250 degrees for 20 hours?. . .can you sear a steak at over 750 degrees in a gasser and then control temps back down to 400 degrees and dwell it for the perfect steak?. . .can you get the kind of moisture retention out of metal gasser that you can out of the ceramic egg to insure moist chicken/turkey/other fowl every time?. . ..[p]you will say that you can be at cooking temps in the gasser in ten - 15 minutes. .. i have gotten my egg to 750+ in that time with no problem. .. .[p]you will say that you can't hook a rottiserie to an egg. . .you don't need to . ..the way that heat swirls through the dome means you don't need one. .. whole chickens come out perfect in the egg every time. .. . and it is easier to set up the egg for indirect cooking every time. ..[p]and for the simplest of things. . .. make the best burger you can on a gas grill, then do it on a weber kettle. . .then make one in the egg. ... you won't believe the difference. . .[p]my only regret is not finding out about ceramic cooking until last year. . .makes me feel like i wasted 20 years cooking on gas and weber kettles. . .[p]don't debate. .. .go buy the darn thing . . NOW[p]all this in my most humble of opinions of course. . . :)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    C Nich,
    Just ask how many people on this board are using their gas grills for storage....Ducanes and all.[p]Gas grills are actually handy to have around, but they can't hold a candle to the possibilities you get with an egg.[p]Take the plunge.
    And beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    C Nich,[p]The BGE is the TRUTH when is comes to smoking and grilling. 'nuf said.[p]Tom
  • C Nich,[p]If you want a life changing experience,[p]buy the Egg !

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    C Nich,
    Buy one of each if you can. As Nature Boy stated they are both handy to have around.
    I have a Charbroil Patio Caddy ($139 new) and a medium Egg.
    I use the Egg for anything I want to make extra good or cook low and slow (tenderloin, prime filet, brisket, ribs, whole chicken, pork butt, ect.) and I use the gas grill for a quick evening meal (steak or chicken breast). The Egg does a much better job on anything, but sometimes I am lazy and I just want to turn a knob and be done with it, as I grill almost every night come rain or shine.
    If you can only have one get the Egg, as it has a much higher "cool" factor.

• C Nich,
    I would have to say go with the gas because it will save you a bunch of time.[p]You are flirting with an addiction that cannot honestly be mentally healthy by considering buying an egg.[p]For at least the first six months that you own one the rest of your kitchen appliances will go dormant. Eventually you will rediscover other cooking methods, but only for food that wouldn’t make sense on the egg.[p]You will find yourself going straight to the meat section when you enter the grocery store instead of attacking the task in a rational manner. You will get way more glee from finding half price dry-aged T-bones than is really reasonable. Peppers of all variety will suddenly become cuisine and not just ingredient.[p]Going to friend’s and family’s cook-outs will become drudgery because of the inevitable disappointment of their well intentioned, gas cooked offerings. Or worse, you’ll be requested to bring your egg and they aren’t exactly feather light.[p]You will begin thinking about grilling and Qing year round regardless of climate.[p]Restaurant steaks will begin to disappoint.[p]Vacations involving airplanes will have a compelling downside.[p]So buy a gas unit and grill out a few times during the summer. Buy a pretty one so that visitors can admire its beauty.[p]I would also suggest never buying a fast computer, quality power tools, front load washing machine, gas cook-top, quality knives, original art, food saver, or a pressure washer because like the egg, once you try any of these things you will never be able imagine living without them.[p]

• C Nich,
    Picking mine up tomorrow as everyone in this great group is already aware of. I got talked into the egg by the salesperson and really pondered if I made the right decision. The hardest part is picking a "cleaver" name. I haven't even cooked on it yet and more involved than I ever was with my gas grill. Tomorrow is a big day - I plan to use it this weekend. On Monday, I'll be on line with my new "Cleaver Name" and my first time experience.

• C Nich,[p]O.K., I wil step out as an unbiased poster. What are you looking for out of your grill? That would help a lot in your assessment. It's sorta like comparing apples to oranges.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Nature Boy,[p]Oh boy! My parents have a Ducane that I cannot STAND. Couldn't stand it before the BGE and especially cannot stand it now. I never could figure out where the hot spots were on it and never was able to cook anything decent on it.
  • Pakak,"DUCANE" $1750 down the drain, wasted, pretty, piece of junk. Lets crank up an EGG - NOW that can COOK!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    C Nich,
    Do you want a Chevette (gas) or Corvette (BGE)? The egg can do so much more than a gasser. If you want ribs there is nothing better. [p]CWM

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Raymond D. Troiano,
    A cleaver name or a clever name. My desk is too close to the editors desk! ;>)

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Raymond D. Troiano,[p]I don't wanna disappoint you, but StumpBaby is already taken..tho you prolly wouldn't wanna use it nohow..on accounta its a bit tainted...and has somewhat of a bad reputation....although I did win an egghole of the year award last year using it...come to think of it..I ain't never got no trophy for that...what kinda award is that..when you don't get nuttin to prove to your friends (or your giant headed sistah..for that matter).. you done won ..jeeze...dat don't seem right..do it?[p]
    Ahhh..the life of a Stump..[p]StumpBaby

• Scottie,[p]Just for fun, what qualifies you as being "unbiased"? To be clear, I am biased, own both gas and ceramic, and drive a GMC.[p]I can think of a bunch of alternative questions to ask our potential new buddy(buddette?) that would illuminate their need in the grillin and Qinnn needs.
  • pivotizer,[p]Unbiased, only because of the fact that I am not married to one grill...