Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken cordon bleu & baby back ribs

Options
CDC
CDC Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saturday we did the chicken cordon bleu. Wife did the hard part of wrapping the ham and cheese in the chicken breast and marinating them. (I’ll have to get the marinade recipe from her if anyone is interested) I did the fun part of egging them! Turned out very good. I didn't even melt much of the cheese out onto the grid. She liked them ok but thought the smoke was a little strong, (2 handfuls of hickory chips will do that, still adjusting to the egg. the gas grill wouldn't have flavored them even that much with more chips). Father in-law, grandma, and myself thought they were awfully good with the smoke.[p]Sunday we did the baby back ribs. First attempt. Put on a bbq rub she got off one of her cooking shows; (can get recipe also). We planned on 1 1/2 hours @ 250. I had to hold them another half-hour for the side dishes to catch up, didn't hurt them a bit. The last half-hour I put some store bought bbq sauce on them and got them nice and sticky the way she likes it. The sauce and rub worked very well together. Store bought sauce isn't as zippy as I’d like, the rub picked it right up! Total success![p] I’m looking forward to doing some pizzas but need accessories! Totally happy with the egg and can't wait to cook some more.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    CDC,[p]It sounds like you are adjusting to your cooker quite nicely. When going from a gas grill to lump charcoal on the Egg, a smoke flavor will be imparted (from the lump).[p]I encourage you to experiment with as many smoking woods as you can obtain. They each impart a different flavor to the meal (and also in strength of the flavor). Smoke is a spice that is used differently from all others. Smoking wood can be used individually or in combination with other smoking woods. The results can be very surprising (just like spices).[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    CDC,[p]Welcome to the forum and Egg ownership. I agree with Spin, and urge you to try little or no wood to see if that taste alone will do for most meals. If like this house - you will. I still add wood to ribs and most pork. I like a little mesquite on steaks.[p]1.5 hr on ribs at 250 might be a little low. I would figure 2.5-3hrs if going direct at 225-250. [p]Tim
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    CDC,[p]Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have things pretty well under control so far, congrats. Agree with the advice so far, ribs would have tenderized a bit with a bit more time. The biggest thing that I had to get over with my new egg was worrying about drying teh meat out by leaving it on too long. The egg has an amazing way of retaining moisture in the meat and the little bit longer and slower cooks really tenderize the meat without drying it out.[p]Holler back with any questions and get ready for a gastronomical delight with those pizzas.[p]Troy
  • CDC
    Options
    Spin,
    we did pork chops the weekend before. they were marinated in an apple juice marinade so i wanted apple chips. had no apple chips. instead i used cherry for the first time. worked out very well. inlaws and wife loved them. (we have dinner with inlaws often) so, yes, i will experament with different smokes!! looking for some alder chips localy. wish me luck.

• CDC
    Options
    Tim M,
    i belive you with the 2.5 or better time on the ribs. but when the wife says bring'um in, what can you do?? they were on just over 2 hrs though. just had to nibble on the bone a little extra. :)[p]

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    CDC,
    Nibble is good! ;-) welcome to the BGE club!!
    Wonderful cooks here...stay around. You will learn something new every day.... enjoy!!!