Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I Scored A Used Egg!!!

Florida Grillin GirlFlorida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,694
edited 7:01PM in EggHead Forum
I've been looking for a used egg to add to my family of eggs for the past 2-3 months. I scored a LGBE yesterday for $250.

Here it is loaded for the trip home:

P8081116-1.jpg

It hadn't been used for a long time and had some questionable stuff growing and living inside it so I did a high temperature burn on it.

Lit it with a huge load of lump:

P8081117.jpg

The thermometer went past 750 and got around to the 200, approx 1000 degrees.

P8081125.jpg

I let it burn til it burned itself out. Today it was brushed with a stiff wire brush, and put back together. Look how nice it came out:

P8091128.jpg

The people I bought the egg from gave me everything they had to go with it, including all these wood chips, a BGE apron, BGE shirt, a bag of BGE charcoal, (3/4 full), and grill utensils.

P8081121.jpg

As they were having an estate sale too, I found this nice aluminum pot for .25 cents. It has a lid and fits the Large perfectly since the handles are small -it measures 17 inches wide:

P8091129.jpg

The nice man who sold me the egg told me his dad( who has passed) loved to cook chicken on this egg. Tonight, for my first cook on it, in honor of Mr. Fernandez, I am cooking chicken on it.

This nice son of Mr.Fernandez hugged me when I left with the egg because he knew the egg would be well used and enjoyed by this particular Egghead.

Faith
Tampa
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• cahuckcahuck Posts: 31
    Great score! Add a new gasket and it will be perfect!
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Eggcellent score Faith, and a nice touch with the tribute to the original owner. Kudos.
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Hate to hear a devoted egger has passed, but glad for you! I have no doubt you will put it good use.
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    Congratulation and what a nice thing to cook for your first event in his honor. It's says alot about you. ;)

My Best,
    Bordello
  • rosrosrosros Posts: 408
    Great find. Nice the seller happy it went to an egger.
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,990
    What a great, great, great, story, Faith. This made my day.

Judy
    San Diego

Where nobody ever sells a used Egg.
    Judy in San Diego
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Great find Faith! Your one lucky lady :)

Did the son seem a little off his rocker? Why'd he sell?
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Faith.....FELICIDADES!!!!!
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice score Faith!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,305
    Nice score and tribute....my son and daughter would probably fight over my BGE.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Faith,

Great deal, congratulations! We should talk this week.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    You have any ideas on how to solve that predicament?

Buy more eggs!! :woohoo:
  • jonnieAZjonnieAZ Posts: 66
    Wonderful,Wonderful,Wonderful!!
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    faith,

Aren't deals like yours against the law? I'm sure there's a city code or ordinace against it :laugh: .

Nice story, great deal!
  • Was that the same Estate sale in west Tampa I saw on Craigs list? I got a reply that that they sold it. I was going to send the youngan after it. :laugh: Great find and congrats. :)
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nice find, congratulations looks like a great egg. Thanks for the pictures and background.

I am sure the chicken turns out great.

Kent
  • rho1640rho1640 Posts: 118
    Can I just say I am pea green with envy :S - I check the paper and Craig's list daily -- nothing ....

but congratulations what a find!
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,293
    I hunt CL almost daily and missed the only Egg in this area for a while, by just a few minutes. You are so fortunate Faith!

Nice touch on the tribute to Mr. F too! Very cool
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL I check Maine and Fort Myers and Sarasota every morning and every night. thought that would be good deal at a sale like that!!
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Wow Faith,what a great deal :woohoo: Nice job finding that one :) Keep an eye out for me,I still NEED a large :lol: :P
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Faith,

I will pay you $300 for it...will you please bring it to Atalanta for me? I can wait til Eggtoberfest if necessary...thanks... :lol: :silly: :woohoo:

Great deal and nice cook in memory of the previous owner.....
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Congratulations Faith, looking forward to seeing more of your fantastic cooks from it.

Gator

• Darn, that's as good as winning the lottery. ;)
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Great story and a heck of a find! I think that it's very cool that you honor Mr. Fernandez that way. Faith, you are always a class act!! Congrats on your new egg!
  • Thank you all for the beautiful comments. They made us laugh and cry. Poppy would have appreciated it, too. God bless!!
  • egger66egger66 Posts: 385
    What a deal....great job on the cleaning :cheer:
  • I would like to thank Jack and Elizabeth - this is who I bought the egg from.

I will post pics later of the chicken cook.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini