Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a Butt disaster looming?

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here is the story...
I put 3 boneless butts on yesterday at 10a. Not touching and the largest was approx 4 lbs. Progressing nicely throughout the day at 250. At 7p, I had internals of 180,185 and 190. I removed from the Egg and wrapped in foil to rest for 2 hours As per Bubba Tim and Little Steven intructions.
Ordered pizza and wings for compnay we had for dinner.
Once the butts were cooled, (now 10p) I tried a Pull. It was like tring to rip apart a rubber ball! Still tons of fat and tissue. Meat is cooked but not pulled pork that's for sure.
I re-wrapped in foil and put them in the fridge.
Can I put these back on the Egg, leave them this time until 200 internal and still get a possitive result?
Or is it over? Chalk this one up as a disaster?

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Tim, I've read here on the forum where folks have done what your suggesting...cook the suckers til tender. i try to get my butts to 195 - 200 range. Had a smilar problem with one butt at 190 degree pulled tuff as an old shoe.

Good luck, I wouldn't give up on 'em.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I don't see why you can't put them back on the egg or in the oven to bring them back up and finish. At this point it's an experiment anyway. The temp should be safe regardless. I would leave them wrapped in foil and finish to 200-205 and see how they do.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    good mornging tim,

as far as
    pulledpork, i think it is over howeverall is not lost.. sliced pork is good eats.. try slicing and reheting wiht the liquid of your choice.. lots here use coke,, i have never done that and would use pork [or chicken] stock or maybe apple juice,, hopefull other will chime in with reheat liquid recommendations.. just cause it did not pull does not mean it wont taste fantastic good luk let us know
    bill
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    a butt at 180 is tough if not impossible to pull.

They are all a little low if you ask me for pulling. You can slice and chop - removing a lot of the fat by hand. I don't know that you would gain much by trying to cook them again - taking them to a higher temp. I've never tried something like that, so if you think the meat is gonna be a loss either way it might be a good experiment.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Put them back on, they will be fine! Let us know.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Ok, I'll give it a go before I write it off.
    I put them back on. The one that I tried to rip, I left of foil with a good splash of Coke inside. The others removed from foil and filled the drip pan with Coke.
    The fat/grease on all 3 look like I rubbed them with Cheeze Whiz. Guess that confirms they were not ready yesterday. I'll show more patients today and wait til I get a 200-205 internal. Wish me luck.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Oh no...and I know you were looking forward to pulled pork.

I would think that if you do put them back on the egg that they will have a tendancy to dry out as you bring them up to temp.

I think if you do put one on (as a tester) you need to get some liquid in there to keep it moist. If it works, fire up the others. If it doesn't, I see some very nice soups in your future.

Michael
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You might want to check your thermometer, I've foiled butts at 185 many times and they pull just fine. -RP
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    OH WOW!!! I'm sorry it isn't working.

I can only think of two things that might have happened:

You ran out of beer.

You didn't play the pipes loud enough.

Let us know how putting them back on works. Good luck.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    The Beer Fairy showed up. So that worked out OK.
    The pipes? There is only one volume on the pipes...LOUD!
    They are back on and storming like hell outside. Hopefully I will recover the cook.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck!!! DON'T go outside with the pipes in the lightning!!!!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Little Steven and Bubba Tim suggested pulling them off at 180deg? I find that unlikely. Pull between 195-200. I did two last weekend. Pulled them at same time with one at 201 and the other at 194. Both perfect.