Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

There but for the grace of God go I

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I've spent the last hour or so reading posts and looking at great pics of food.

My son's school chum came over for a visit a few hours ago and just said "Mr. O can I have something to eat" - I said "sure, there's lots of different things in the fridge - take your pick - BTW how can you be so hungry so soon after dinner?"

His response "I haven't had anything to eat since breakfast - there's no food in the fridge".

Wow, I know that times are tough out there but (sometimes) it takes things like this to remind me that not everyone is as fortunate as we are.

I'll have to figure out a way to tackfully full their fridge. I hope by sharing this story, you will do the same for someone less fortunate!

Michael

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Now that is leadership!! Thanks for sharing this situation with the masses. I agree. Be greatful for the fortune that we all have everyday!! Tell me what you come up with. I will think on it as well. Do you know the folks?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I know the family - the parents are too proud to ask me (or anyone else) for help. I have to figure out a tactful way to full up the fridge.

The thing that really pulled at my heart strings was the boy said "I've got 55 cents, you can have that".

I would have never known...

Michael
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Your a good man Michael, good man. :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Cook up a bunch of stuff and tell them you got carried away and offer the leftovers to them..

They'll probably know it's a hand-out but the presentation of extra leftovers will save face..

You are in the grace of God!!..
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Give the son a job around the house trimming trees bushes mowing the lawn or whatever and pay him enough to get groceries or go with him and your son. Just let him know that is what it is for. I know how some teen aged boys can be. It is tough to find a tactful avenue to help some people with a lot of pride.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Maybe have the family over for dinner, have a heart to heart and come up with a plan. That could take them much further than just a few hundred bucks in groceries.
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I agree...

I think there were a lot of left overs from the party.

As my family is going camping next week, they'd just go bad in our fridge.

Michael
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Ya Eddie, the kid can probably get a job easier than his folks.(If they don't currently work) I was detailing cars when I was 13-14 and then went on to reffing soccer at 15. Fliers at a few churches under all the wipers will get a fair amount of cars to wash and wax. Both of those can make a kid around 20 bucks an hour cash.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Now you are thinking :)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    There was a kid on my sons soccer team that was going to school full time and playing soccer and worked when he could to support the family because they had been laid off. That was quite some kid to do all that. It is a bummer. Everyone got together and had a fund raiser to help them through the tough time of Christmas.
  • RGBHV
    Options
    The boy's 9 and both parents work.

I guess they're just finding it hard to make ends meet.

I know the parents, but I don't know them that well. Maybe this is my chance to get to know them?

The boy's always had a good appetite at my place - I never really wondered why.

Although filling up the fridge is a temporary solution, it's a start. I'd like to figure out a longer term solution that will help the parents save face.

With your suggestions, I'm sure we'll figure out a plan.

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Michael, I think it is somewhat like the forum. Give them a hand in the short term and do what you can to figure out how to help for the long term.

After they overcome their pride, when they ask what they can do, just tell them to keep their eyes open to find someone else that they can help in the future.

There is a lot of heart ache around all of us, we all need to be on the lookout to help how and when we can.

GG
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Michael, I think it is somewhat like the forum. Give them a hand in the short term and do what you can to figure out how to help for the long term.

After they overcome their pride, when they ask what they can do, just tell them to keep their eyes open to find someone else that they can help in the future.

There is a lot of heart ache around all of us, we all need to be on the lookout to help how and when we can.

GG

I like your thinking in the "pay it forward" approach. I'm not much for the "big" charities like United Way, etc. I think their execs make waaaayyyy to much. Funny that people defend by saying that charities have to pay big $$$$ to the top dogs to attract good people. I don't ever recall seeing Mother Theresa in a BMW or private jet.

I like giving direct and helping out direct. I know where the help goes and I see the direct results.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You just need to know where to start begging...

Sometimes the good charities get too big and forget why they were founded. I hope I never forget..
  • RGBHV
    Options
    At the end of the day, they might not want my help - but, if there's something I can do short term or long term, then at least I can look at myself in the mirror and say I did the best I could!

Based on what I've seen on this forum, I think there are a lot of people out there doing the best they can too - and that's great to see!

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You are correct, on the surface the parents very well may not want help. I believe folks can get to a point, beaten so bad for whatever reason, where internally they have just given up - they are lost.

Since my kids were young my wife and I have tried to teach them to help others. Give a helping hand, some food, some money it doesn't matter just help. The help is not to be given for recognition and not for a pat on the back or even for a thank you. Whenever possibly give anonymously. It does not matter how the help is used and should be of no concern when given.

My parents taught me that the help given to others is for my benefit and my growth. I have passed that gift on to my kids. I sure hope it goes to the next generation.

People have to hunt for the opportunity and then open their hearts and do what can be done to help others.

I really appreciate your post, it has brought a lot of cherished experiences we have had.

I hope you can find a way to help the family out.

Again thanks or the post, Kent
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I have helped a couple of people along the way by cooking extra and telling them you had to order more than you need to get a good price. One of them had too much pride if I said "leftovers" so I started telling him there was too much for me in the pack from COSTCO.
    I usually put the meat in foodsaver bags, label and give it to them to cook whenever needed.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I like the ideas of an anonymous gift card to a greocery store. Also the fund raiser.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RGBHV
    Options
    The initial response was extra food from the party. They were thankful and there was no hint of a handout -so no pride issues.

Obviously a temporary measure but a decent one to start.

I like the CBBQ suggestion - "reduced rate for buying bulk". Maybe I can invite them to "buy bulk" with me so that we both can profit from the reduced rates. Some extra meat here, some more KD there, etc. it will help them stretch their monthly food budget.

Michael
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    BJ's, Sam's or Costco doesn't care as long as the member actually buys the food.

Take him with you...