Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question About Egg Accessories

Big George's BBQ
Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a Large BGE and want to accessorize to enhance the experience. I already have the BGE Pizza Stone and Place Setter. I keep hearing discussions about the woo ring and the spider. What are the differencwes/benefits to these. I have also heard that you do not need both of them. Would not the BGE Place Setter and grill extender offer the same as these two

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I have a pizza stone and a plate setter. I absolutely love the Adjustable Rig and Spider.

When I first got my AR/Spider I was advised to get the AR over the Woo for the large.

Here I am using the Adjustable Rig and the BGE Grid Extender.

chicken1.jpg

Here I am using the Dutch Oven and the Spider. I use the Spider in normal position to sear the meat then invert the spider for the simmer.

chili1.jpg

The drip pan you see is being used because the diamater of that cast iron pan is too small to sit on top of the spider.

I use that drip pan for indirect cooking when needed.

If you have questions as to which accessories, call The Ceramic Grill Store and ask Tom for help. He is a great guy and will guide you to the best accessories.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC07930a.jpg

A wok fits in the spider and a cast iron griddle will fit on it.

DSC04886g.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    as i was wondering the EXACT same thing. I'm such a newb... :S :blush: :ermm:
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    feel free to contact me via email and I'll be happy to call you and discuss varying set-up scenarios. my email is:

acgpinc@verizon.net

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    I bought a Woo for my large after we got it last year. If I knew what I know now, I would have bought the adjustable rig.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    The Adjustable Rig/Spider combination is so incredibly useful, I don't know what I ever did without it. I looked it over for days and days before buying it, trying to figure out scenarios and arrangements, but once you get it, the possibilities just jump out at you. You won't be sorry you did.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Drop Tom a line, he IS eggaccessories but will give you unbiased advice.
    In my view:
    The spider goes from fire ring level (standard grill height) up or down by about 2" this let's you sear down in the ferocious heat of the firebox and it has a nice ringto support a wok.
    The woo ring takes the grate up about to the felt line butremains direct, you can add an indirect barrier. The platesetter also raises the grid but is indirect (and thermal mass)

The adj rig takes you from the STD grate height above the felt line (into the dome) andpoints in between. Think of the inside ofyour own oven.

I love my woo, it's simple and I prefer the gentler heat at the felt line. If I had a large I'm sure I'd end up with an adj rig.

The accessories I always recommend are a Thirdhand (from Thirdeye), a GrillWozard brush and a woo ring, perhaps that should be the rig.