Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtoberfest thoughts

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sitting here amazed that the fest sold out so fast and its more than two months from now. Thinking back to our first fest in 2005 where I didn't even register until October. Same was true for the hotel which was hosting several other groups at the time, no problem getting two rooms. Kim and I didn't cook the first two years and I remember being able to wander around and meet all the people we had been chatting with on the forum. With the feeding frenzied atmosphere of the crowds in the last couple years I seem to meet a whole lot less people. So I guess where I'm going with this is to ask all the newbies and first time festers to take the time to say hi and put some names with the faces. -RP

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Randy,

My first thought was, what about all the local folks that come every year to feast? It will be very interesting with the majority of the crowd being egg familiar.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Good point Randy.The one and only Eggtoberfest Mint Tulip & I went to we knew no one. But we walked around and talked to the cooks and met people and learned a lot in a single day. We also met some people who, I am sure will end up being lifelong friends. Which in the end is what Eggtoberfest is about.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    kind of strange what was your first fest year?

i think it was 06!! that was our first year also!! i remember cause i got the shirt to prove it!!

but you don't remember taking this picture

100_0038.jpg

i mean i am forgetable :whistle: but my wife????? :unsure:

maybe you just didn't like me then :ohmy: that's ok ;) you may not like me now and that's ok too but come on how can you forget my wife :laugh:

tell the filly hi also see if she is going to make some hodags in october ;) maybe we can make them after dark ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Randy, as usual, you are right on..."ask all the newbies and first time festers to take the time to say hi and put some names with the faces".

In the same line of thinking, I would like for the "old timers" to take time to visit with the "newbies" and show patience with their questions. We were all new at one time and, personally, I enjoy their enthusiasm as much as the cooking. This is going to be a great Eggfest!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I'll be sure to come by and introduce myself :P Whats for dinner :whistle: :woohoo:

101_2415.jpg
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Great thread. This will be my 3rd. ofest. Mrs.YesMaam knows i've never met a stranger. I love to chat with any egger. Each and everyone is important, so lets shake a hand and meet mo eggers. Less they stick their toung out at you. lol Thanks Smiles.
  • Good idea Randy. This will be my 1st mothership fest, but have met many forum and non forum eggers at the 2 OKC fests that I have made, so, I am looking forward to meeting more east coast folks and seeing other friends I have met over last 2 years. Atlanta here I come. Just glad I signed up to cook on the 1st day.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great point. At any Eggfest expect the food to be great but the people you meet are the real bonus. I have only been to a 4 or 5 events but the people you meet will treat you like family...
    darian
    OKCGroup.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • AZRP
    What do you mean I don't remember, it was on saturday. :laugh: -RP
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Jerry, so glad you are going. Is Teresa coming too?
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Terry,

Your wife? I think he is a little on the chunky side but the girl on his left is a knockout :P

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    lmao!!

too funny steve

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yea about the third saturday in october right? or was it september :P :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    another serious thread that has taken a hard left turn....
    :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :ohmy: :P
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    I would consider myself a newbie. Got my first Egg less than a year ago, and have been cooking on it 5-6 days/week (We rarely eat out anymore.) I spend a lot of time reading different posts on this forum, and always seem to find an answer to whatever question I have without ever having to post a question. I really appreciate all of the folks taking the time to help educate newbies on this amazing cooker. This will be my first Eggtoberfest, and I am wondering how I will be able to tell who's who? Will nametags with handles be provided, or do people make these up themselves?

Thanks, Pike
  • AZRP
    Yes the name tags have the handles in bold print. -RP
  • FlaPoolman
    There will be name tags and it really helped with introductions. Last year was my first in Atlanta and everybody was great (except that little Canadian :angry: :P ). The meet and greet also helps to break the ice even though most people met at the hotel parking lot.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL so just how long have you two been friends? online and in person?? it seems like forever to see you and hear you in action LOL
    Oh and you have 15 days,19 hours and 16 minutes and 7 seconds LOL
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Ain't no strangers at O-fest or any Eggfest. Enjoy & smiles to you.
  • Pickle
    Probably only going to make it to the Saturday event. I live about 40 miles away from Tucker, and wife is allergic to alcohol, so no need for hotel. Is the Friday event worthwhile?
  • AZRP
  • FlaPoolman
    Yes it is and the afterparty in the parking lot is a blast and where most of the joking and fun happen. You will love any part of it you are able to make. Look me up I'll be the one with a beer in his hand :lol::whistle: :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    Randy,,,, You just have a way with words :side:
  • Pickle
    Only one beer, surely you can do better.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    High Randy
    One stat that tells a little bit of what is going on for me would be that in 2003 there were twenty three pages in the recipe section.In 2007 there were 84 pages of recipes.We keep getting bigger every year.
  • Pickle
    That was convincing enough. Look forward to meeting you on Friday night.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If you didn't register for it you are too late. It usually sells out before the Saturday event.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Garth Brooks used to add a day to his concerts if he sold out. Then he'd add a day if he sold that one out.

Maybe BGE should take a lesson from that :)
  • No, unfortunately she can't get off work, someone else in her office has vacation that week. But she told me I should really go, so I'm in.
  • BENTE
    sorry :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb