Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Emergancy

Options
dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife picked up a 6lb Turkey Breast today.
I would like to brine it for 1 maybe 2 hours, is that long enough for the brine to work???
Also, I will be using Pecan wood chunks, v-rack on the large, what temp should cook this at??
Thx
dublin

Comments

• disabledFlyfish
    Options
    dublin,
    I would suggest 300-325. Last sunday I cooked it to 165-170 degrees. I did marinated it over night. I would brine as long as you can. Think that it took 2-2.5 hours.[p]ENJOY

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    dublin,
    Two hours will certainly make a difference, so it is worth it to do the brine for that long. As for time/temp's, do it the same way you would do it in your oven. Probably 325 degrees, and use a meat thermometer to judge when it is done. 170-175 is probably good if you let it rest for 20 minutes before carving. Go light on the smoke. I love smoke, but poultry sucks it up like a hoover on steroids. If you have a rub, go for it. I like Montreal Steak seasoning on turkey breasts. You could also do a basic salt/pepper/garlic rub. Or no rub at all, just a little oil rubbed over it. For planning purpose, maybe guess around 2 to 2.5 hours? If you have a remote thermometer, you can watch the temp rise and guage about when it should be ready. Good luck. Turkey breasts are great on the egg.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    dublin, you've already been given all the advice you need - but as a rule of thumb count on 20 minutes per pound at 325°

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey13.jpg
    <p />dublin,
    Many turkey breasts are injected already with juices and so brining does little good. The label will tell you if it has been. I do mine indirect at 350° and a 6 lb will take me about 2.5 hrs. I pull it when the breast is 165°.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's cookbook[/ul]