Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Hunk-o-Meat (pic heavy)

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been working on a new cooking technique involving the Egg for finishing (detailed technique post to follow...) and, in a blatant effort to qualify for a Bubba Tim certification, thought I'd post a few pics of tonight's experiment:

Starting with a Publix 3.45 lb bottom round roast, about 3.5 inches thick:

IMG_0618.jpg

After first cooking the insides to 125ºF internal (not using the Egg):

IMG_0007.jpg

Egg then preheated to 500ºF dome, with cast iron grate on drop-down spider and a handful of JD whiskey barrel oak chips:

IMG_0010.jpg

Searing each side of the already-internally-cooked roast beef:

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Finished and resting:

IMG_0017.jpg

And now the reward...
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Best $2.19/lb roast beef I've ever tasted!

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    it looks pretty good but there is something wrong with your camera. :P
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    NOT USIN THE EGG??? :huh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I agree, the bad pictures are the camera's fault! :whistle:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Looks fantastic Dave, some of the best looking roast beast I've seen in a long time.

Gator

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Dave...Wonderful small roast! Will be awesome shaved for sandiwhiches tomorrow!!Cooked PERfectly....IMHO! Once again, a wonderful job!! (sous vide after initial brown?) Just curious. Perfectly cooked IMHO!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Mme Chef, you have a sharp eye...actually sous vide to 125ºF followed by Egg flash cook, a technique I call "smoke-sear."

I've been developing this combination of techniques for a variety of proteins, and will be posting on my research with this method in the near future.

It's obviously not for everybody due to equipment demands and novelty, but I'm very excited by the results it gives. In this case, cheap beef ends up with the texture of filet and the flavor of an Egged ribeye...hard to beat!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Charleston Dave....Beautiful results! But as you say, will not be easily duplicated due to equipment restrictions and such. Needless to say, an absolutely perfectly cooked roast. I would be GLAD to have a piece, or a thin sliced Sandwich the following day.
    Keep up the great work!! :)
  • thegrillster
    Options
    There are some cautions to be observed here regarding bacteria, yes!

How would you monitor this?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The technique works great if you start it on the Egg too. I do mine starting at 250 and then crank up the Egg and finish with a sear.

Here is what Cooks Illustrated had to say about the process.

The goal is to get the best possible crust, with minimum, over cooked layer between the crust and the warm center.

The process starts by putting the steaks in a low oven -- or in this case, your grill -- at 275F

Leave for 20-25 minutes or until 90-95 degrees for rare or 25-30 minutes, to 100-105, for medium.

This step does two things -- dries out the exterior and brings the center up to a warmer temperature.

Heat a skillet, over high heat, until the oil is smoking. Place steaks in skillet and sear until well browned and crusty - 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, lifting once half way through to redistribute the fat underneath the steak. Reduce heat if fond begins to burn.

It goes on to recommend searing on the sides, but that seams like overkill to me. Need to check the internal temp to get it to 125 for rare.

Apparently there is some science to explain why this makes a better steak.

These steaks spend a long time in a warm oven, yet taste more tender than traditionally prepared steaks, which can be tough and chewy. The explanation? Meat contains active enzymes called cathepsins, which break down connective tissues over time, increasing tenderness. (a fact that is demonstrated to great effect in dry-aged meat). As the temperature of the meat rises, these enzymes work faster and faster, until they reach 122 degrees, where all the action stops. While our steaks are slowly heating up, the cathepsins are working overtime, in effect "aging" and tenderizing the steaks within half an hour. When steaks are cooked by conventional methods, their final temperature is reached much more rapidly , denying the cathepsins the time they need to properly do their job.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You should check out uncunundrum's posts from the past. He did a lot of work on the whole sous vide thing when it first started becoming popular. His web site is recipesonrails.com.

He brought some sous vide beef and even some chicken to Waldorf a few years ago. I tried a tiny piece of the chicken and several pieces of the beef and they were both pretty tasty.
  • thegrillster
    Options
    We have a restaurant in town using this technique. Not been there yet but I hear good things.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Not critiquing but what would be the difference in just branding? Seems to be what was done?
    E
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I'm quit impressed. Looking forward to your posts.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    emilluca wrote:
    Not critiquing but what would be the difference in just branding? Seems to be what was done?
    E

No question that there are nice grill marks (like branding), but there if you compare the pictures, there is some good searing between the grate marks too.

I have had good luck finishing mine on a hot CI skillet in the Egg.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've been waiting a while to see the results of your "smoke-sear" technique you mentioned to me back in Ocala.

That roast looks terrific.

What is in the pyrex measuring cup in the second photo? Was that the liquid in the bag after the sous vide step? What became of that liquid? Did you make an au jus or sauce with it?
  • Bear
    Bear Posts: 32
    Options
    Great job!!! Very nice pics too!

;)

B
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Yes, Fidel, that was the bag liquid from the sous vide bag. It has the flavor of "au jus" but is a bit more viscous.

The 3.5-lb. uncooked weight roast gave right at 0.5 cups of wonderfully fragrant liquid. It breaks the heart to discard it as the roast was soooo good.

I have tried making gravy from bag liquid but to date have not been successful; the proteins in it are different from typical pan-sear fond and do not behave the same way. I've tried several techniques but the liquid typically "breaks" or gives curds before it produces a palatable gravy. At this point in my skills development about all I could do with it would be to sauté it in with mushrooms or something like that.

A local chef with a lot of experience in sous vide has promised to teach me a molecular gastronomy technique using xanthum powder to make gravy but we haven't yet gotten together.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    The three main reasons for the sear are:
    (1) raise exterior over 145ºF, thus enhancing safety.
    (2) bring about Maillard reactions in the exterior, improving taste
    (3) make the appearance more traditional, enhancing eye appeal.

I will address sous vide safety concerns in more detail in a later post. For max safety (pasteurization), even the interior of the meat (normally thought pristine if it's untouched muscle) should be put above 130ºF, or the meat should be kept in the 40-140ºF danger zone for less than 4 hours before service. This time limit is often ignored in sous vide. Note also that I am cooking for immediate service, not cook and hold. I suspect that any meat that is jaccarded would introduce additional safety issues because potential surface contaminants would be introduced into the interior. An argument could be made that searing first and then sous viding would improve safety because the exterior is pasteurized by the sear before the low and slow begins. I need to try it that way and see whether the flavor is as good as it is with the sear at the end.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Great cite! His first listed sous vide recipe is for bottom round roast. I think the smoke-sear technique adds something to the results, however.

I'll bring some of this to Eggtoberfest.

A cast iron pan would work beautifully, but I used the cast iron grill for the sake of the grill marks.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    The sear is done for safety, taste, and eye appeal.