Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinated Pork Butt Pulled this Weekend

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Well, a bit of an experiment this weekend. I had a 5 pound Butt marinating in Andreas Steak Sauce for 3 days, put it on the BGE 6am on Sunday. No particular reason for 6am, the daughter (7 months old) was up though at 5am so I fed her, got her settled, then built the fire and let it rip. It stabilized nicely at 200 by 5:45 after putting in the soaked hickory chunks and firebricks and drip pan with the leftover marinade poured into it. Added a bit of water, garlic, Worst. Sauce and onion powder to the drip pan also. I think this "nearly sauce" in the drip pan added a lot of flavor to the meat also. Put this pan in the BGE, put a nice coat of Rib Rub on the Butt and plopped it on about 6am. It was a strange cook though, it hit a plateau at 155 or so and stuck for awhile, then did the same thing about 185, just about as long as the 155 point. Took it off at 7:30pm and it was great, tender and that marinade flavor was throughout the meat.[p]I would highly recommend a marinade on the meat (liquid) for a couple of days prior to a low/slow cook on Butts. Works great. Also, the spiced up drip pan I think made a big difference.[p]Anyone ever had a double plateau on a cook like this one? I can't see how the marinade would have something to do with that?[p]Troy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    sprinter,
    Yes I have noticed the double plateau before. They really have a mind of their own. Every butt has varying degrees of fat and collagen. I have had plateaus at 140, and again in the upper 160s. Your marinade sounds great! My eggfest brisket will be marinated also. I wonder still about the flavored drip pan liquids. I think a side by side comparison would be needed to convince me that it noticably affects the flavor. I still dump my remaining marinade in the drip pan, and sometimes a beer (if I have extra!!)[p]Congrats on your major success.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm with you, not 100% convinced of the liquid in the drip pan, the only thing I am 100% certain it does is make the neighborhood smell awesome for the afternoon. It may add a little but I think it was more the Andreas Steak Sauce marinade than anything. I just hated to waste it so in it went. Then, one thing led to another (and I was still working on getting the coffee going so I may not have been thinking straight yet) and all of the other things went in with it.[p]Interesting cook with the two peaks, first time for me. Oh well, cook and learn and have a big 'ole batch of PP for sammiches for the week. Mix that with some Amish Pot Sticker Q' Sauce and I'm a happy camper. Man, its almost lunch time now, cant wait.[p]Troy
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    sprinter,
    Which rib rub did you use??....was it JJ's?
    Bob

• sprinter
    RLA,[p]I get it from an Italian Grocery on "The Hill" in St. Louis called Vivianos. Best rub I've ever had. I like JJ's but this one is a bit more on the spicy side, just suits my tastebuds better.[p]Troy
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    sprinter,[p]Sounds like a great adventure! Just another meal on the must try list![p]Smokey[p]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    sprinter,
    I'm curious about your physical setup in the Egg. Did you use a second grill for the pork and the drip pan on the bottom one? Did you put any firebricks under the drip pan?[p]BTW, I used to get to Scott AFB every once in awhile and Andria's and Viviano's were my 2 favorite restaurants in the area. I get Andria's steak sauce by the case and it's great on rib-eyes.
    JimW

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    JimW,
    Any links or websites for these two restaurants...so that these sauces and rubs can be ordered?
    Bob

• sprinter
    RLA,[p]I'll see if I can find the number for Andreas Steak Sauce, about $3.50 a bottle by the case. Vivianos is a small family owned grocery in St. Louis, no website to my knowledge. If you're really interested next time I go there I'll plan to pickup some extras. Just let me know. I'm off in search of the number for Andreas, back soon.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    RLA,[p]Phone for ordering Andreas sauce is[p]618-632-3118[p]Enjoy[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    JimW,[p]I use two bricks flat on the grill and two on edge to make a |__|. I put my drip pan in this and another grill on top of this. Works great. My drip pn is a 9x9x2 pyrex baking dish scrounged at a garage sale for 5 pennies. What a deal.[p]Andreas is great steak, sauce is awesome.[p]Troy
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    sprinter,
    thanks for describing your method for us. I plan on trying this out to the "t" over Easter and am about to order some Andreas sauce.[p]Tractor

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    sprinter,
    Much thanks for the setup.
    JimW

• sprinter
    tractor,[p]You won't be sorry with that Andreas sauce, I always have to bring cases with me to my wifes relatives for the big Thanksgiving get together. They all love it, and have told friends etc etc etc. They can't get it in stores in their area. It's great stuff and makes a pretty good PP. Try a steak marinaded in it for a couple of days, then sear it on both sides, then dwell for a few minutes, then at the end of teh dwell put a pat of butter on the steak and let it melt. Pure heaven. I make herbed butter and freeze it and use it on my steaks, awesome. Let me know how you like the sauce.[p]Troy
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    sprinter,
    Please don't post entries THAT descriptive of your results ever again during work hours. It's torture knowing I'm still 3 hours away from being with my Egg![p]Tractor

• sprinter
    tractor,[p]You know, we can link our posts to just about anything we want, pictures, other websites, you name it. BUT, the day we can link the posts to SMELL is the day I'm really looking forward to.[p]I promise I'll be less descriptive in the future........but I gotta tell ya', that herb butter melted over that steak is REALLY good. hehehe[p]Troy