Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE care in humid areas

Geoduck
Geoduck Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from two weeks away and the inside of my egg is wet. The daisy wheel, which I keep inside the egg, is rusting and the metal boxes I use to raise the grill are (ugh) moldy. I have a piece of foil under the rain cap for a tighter fit when shutting down, is it a mistake to leave it there all the time? But then I've seen pics of eggs with gaskets around the tops for the same reason. Any ideas for keeping things dry or maybe I shouldn't store anything inside...

Comments

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    I keep mine under a cover and up against the house. Fire that puppy up!! Let it rain! :)

12-2008005.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have a large and a small here in east florida. Both are covered most of the time and I store the tops and extra grills and tools regularly inside. Sometimes they go a week or two, shame on me, and the moisture and rust do not appear to be a problem. If there is ever any mildew, I just cook it for 30 minutes or so.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi Susan :) just fire it up and toss in the metal parts and cook it off. all is fine, after a good cook let it go a little while to clean it out to help with mold and I keep some spray oil like pam handy and just give the metal parts a good squirt.
  • Geoduck
    Cleaning it is not a problem. I just don't want to do it often, I'd rather prevent it. I do want to get a cover but I think the problem is humidity & condensation and I'm not sure that would be solved with a cover.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Geoduck,

I don't have a solution, all I can add is that I store my lump in a large clean trash barrel (rubbermaid) that seals nice and tight and it works well.
    I can fit about 3 ten pound bags in it.

Gator

• If you get a cover I would recommend the vented cover. We are 90+% humidity here most of the summer. I have not had any condensation problems with my vented cover. A friend here has a non vented cover and the condensation is so bad he has to toss the lump after a week or so. The best prevention is to use the egg often. :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    After thought. Try sticking a burning 40 watt bulb in the top. Like boaters use to keep the humidity down.
  • iBeeSmok'n
    iBeeSmok'n Posts: 270
    Hi Susan

We have had allot of rain this year and I had the same problem. I cover my twins all the time so after a search on this forum I put a thin piece of wood under the lid to keep it cracked open slightly plus I open the lower vent and daisy wheel and throw the cover back over. So far this has worked great for me and the mold and moisture problem is gone.

PA262329.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Gary
    Delware, Ontario
  • Geoduck
    Gary, THANK YOU - this makes sense. You should have seen the grids when I took the plate setter off! That ugly mess was hidden when I first looked in. Have been cooking coals for an hour and finally think the top grid is ready for my steak. :P And, thanks for the pics - they always help me.
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    What's the reason for the little cap on the egg?
  • iBeeSmok'n
    iBeeSmok'n Posts: 270
    Rain cap for those heavy downpours. Rain is not going to stop me from a wonderful meal on the BGE.