Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning First Brisket - Cook Time?

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I have about a half dozen pork butts under my belt (literally ;) ), I've finally gotten up enough courage to do my first brisket. I've read ThirdEyes's and Celtic Spirit's web sites and several posts on here about what's gone right and wrong in the past.

Given that I don't have any kind of automated temperature control device, I'm thinking I'm going to try to get this cook started early Sunday morning, as opposed to doing an overnight.

I've seen estimates of 1 to 2 hours per pound for cook time. I'm REALLY hoping that mine is not on the high end of that estimate or we may not be eating until LATE. If I get a brisket in the 6-8 lb range I'm interested in other folks take on what the cook rate might be and if I can pull this off without having to get up at the butt crack of dawn.

Thanks!!

Comments

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Go to 'Old Dave's Po Farm' and use his High Temp Brisket/Direct Cooked recipe. Did it yesterday and it was wonnerful, wonnerful. Very tasty and tender. Took about 5 1/2 hours.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    I've started my last couple of brisket cooks at about midnight and finished around noon. Then I wrapped the brisket in foil and put it in a cooler with a couple of hot, foil wrapped bricks and a bunch of towels. It will easily keep warm for 6 hours like that. Just another thought if you want to make sure you don't end up waiting until 9pm for the brisket to decide it's done.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You absolutely don't need an automated device...however they are nice to use....You "should" figure 2 hours per pound..if it's early foiling will always cover you..and I like to foil when it's done anyway, for a good couple of hours..or at least as long as you can stand it..if you want to start the night before just make sure things are stabalized and use a wiggle rod to clear the ash from the grate before going to bed and you should be fine..