Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn beef brisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestion on cooking a corn beef brisket on the egg? Dont really know what it is but I bought one. Is this the same as a beef brisket?

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Rene,[p] Maybe you can give us some more info. Is it pre-spiced?
    The weight, & fat or no fat. How thick is it.
    With this info, i am sure,we can give you a good start with the brisket.[p] Earl

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Rene,
    I did one on the Egg for St. Patty's day. It was fantastic! Corned beef though is corned beef! It has a totally different flavor, taste and texture than a beef brisket. Follow the instructions on the bag and use the seasoning packet and knock off about 10 minutes from the time they recommend. You'll be surprised, but in a pleasant way![p]Good luck & good Egg'n![p]Dr. Chicken

• Rene, just a tip.. I've gotten my best tips and recipes from Dr. Chicken,, Cat,, Elder Ward,, J.J.,, Spin,, Nature Boy,, Char-Woodie,, Cornfed,, Bama Fire,, djm5X9,, MollyShark,, Tanker Tim,, Frozen Chozen,, Smokin' Todd,, RhumAndJerk,, Earl,, Tim M,, Gfw,, Smokey,, Teslamania,, sprinter,, YB,, Bob,, Eponda,, and Mary... If I left anyone out,,, just post a **** and I will make amends!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Rene,[p]Corned Beef is Very good on the egg! I usually season over night with the seasoning packet that comes with it. I also add spices (mostly cajun). I smoke it at about 225 - 250* (indirect). When internal (meat temp) reaches 170*, its done! A polder type thermometer is a huge help! Have fun with it and let us hear about your results![p]Smokey

• Smokey, The combined tastes of pickling and smoking seem like they would fight each other, but I'm willing to give it a try. Now, if we're talking about the store-bought version of corned beef-in-a-bag, these things are usually as tough as Chinese calculus, and usually have to be boiled until tender. Egging to internal 170 sounds like it would leave you with some very tired jaw muscles. How did yours turn out???? BTW, making your own conred beef from a good brisket is easy to do, and beats the meat in the bag by miles. It is also fun.
  • Frozen Chosen,[p]When I've smoked the C'ed Beef, it smoked for a good 6-8 hours depending on size. If you have concerns about the tendernes, a foil wrap for the last hour or so doesn't hurt. Also, I have gone for an internal temp of 185* anter a foil blanket (it was a tougher peice of beef). I think slicing may make a difference. I slice by hand but cut very thin (deli style).[p]Its a home favorate![p]Smokey
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I think the fingers are asleep![p]Smokey
  • Rene,[p] To answer your last question first: Corned beef starts out as a regular beef brisket. Then it is cured in a strong brine. Sometimes it is also injected with the brine. This gives the meat a definite salty flavor and alters the texture. Standard preparation is to boil or steam it until it is tender. However, as Smokey has already said, you can smoke it on the BGE with good results. In fact, pastrami is made something like this.[p] I smoked a corned beef brisket about exactly like Smokey says last month. I took it out of the bag and rinsed it well, then covered it in cracked pepper and a little paprika. I smoked it over pecan at about 220F until the internal temperature was about 165 (I was aiming for 170, but didn't make it -- I started the brisket at 6:00PM and had to pull it at 7:00AM when I went to work). I wrapped it in foil and refrigerated it. Sliced it thin for sandwiches. Tasted good and definitely had an interesting texture. NatureBoy tried a piece and said it had a texture like cheese! [p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MikeO,
    Yeah, it even looked a bit like cheese! Not the stringy appearence of a regular chunk o chest, but sort of a dense texture with tiny swiss cheese holes in it.[p]I wish I was hungrier when was over at your place, cuz I would have liked to try a whole sammich!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ