Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attn Spider users - inspiration please

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Medium.
I would love a spider. I don't form / weld (yet) but I know someone who does.

Now I love my Woo2 and would love a spider to go with it. I see from ceramicgrillstore that they use 1/4" 304 stainless so I guess that's good for the job. I could guess an inner ring size my measuring my egg, considering what grate I could use down there and trying to find a wok that would fit. However I'm interested in what makes the spider (for the large) work well because I want to get as good a shot at it first time round. (wouldn't want to ask a favour twice)

I'm guessing the 2 inch drop would still be appropriate, Perhaps I'd scale it down a little because I guess the fire ring in a med isn't as tall as in a large.

So should I make the inner ring to suit a wok whilst making sure it will take a grate or should I just go with a 2 inch clearnce from the fire ring? Ideas?

What makes the spider most effective in your experience?

btw I love Tom's products - if he made one I'd import it (I'm in the UK) - I'm not trying to rip him off.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Hey James, just one of the things I like about the spider is I can reverse it. In normal position it's great for searing close to the fire but I like to invert it to get the wok higher in the dome for easier handling.
  • James MB
    Options
    Yes - I think I'd be more likely to use it ring upper for a wok (but I'd want the wok to fit on it ring lower too just in case I wanted ferocious heat).
    Tom's already done the thinking!

I'm guessing the main issue is wok geometry.

btw I put it in another post but you probably missed it - that's very good of you about the shirt(s) - hope the minifest goes well. Hope you got the book - can't remember when I finally got around to sending it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you want the inner dropdown to fit a grill, and a pizza stone. then deside how big the circle needs for a wok that fits in the med egg. i would have all three pieces handy to size it. maybe have an appropriate dutch oven handy to figure out how far to drop it or raise it, i use mine inverted mostly ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I think I sent you an Email :whistle::blush: My wife loved the book Thank You
  • James MB
    Options
    I probably junked the email :blush: :laugh: No worries.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Hey James send me an email. I'm am waiting on a 14 inch wok to design a wok ring for the medium. Another fella asked about it last week. Just need to figure out the best way for the 14 inch wok to sit in/at/above the medium's 12 inch wide (ID) fire ring.

Once I figure out what works, I'll email the design and you can see about getting one made on that big island you live on......LOL.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I was going to suggest James email you and ask for some assistance with figuring this out. Your response was just as I was thinking it would have been.

Pretty nice, just like the service and quality of product you produce.

Glad to see you are working on something for the medium, that will be a great accessory.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I see Tom has addressed the major part of the post.

The Spider has a lot of uses for me other than for a Wok.

I use the spider when searing also when using a Dutch Oven or cast iron skillet, normal position and inverted.

The spider is great inverted for holding a drip pan when cooking indirect.

GG
  • James MB
    Options
    Tom / tjv
    That's a really kind offer. If you're actually going to make a med spider I could just buy one of yours, eventually (It would be a good reason to buy another woo ring) I'm trying to build up to a charcoal basket so I may have to reserve the favours!

Yes I intend to use it for searing, I imagine I'll have to cut a CI grate to get down in the fire ring so I have a fairly wide tolerance there, similarly when it's inverted the handling isn't such an issue - it's the wok / fire ring clearance / geometry that I guess will determine a sensible inner ring diameter.
    If I'm going to the trouble I mshould ensure I get a multi use tool!