Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip

Options
Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tritip_sliced_10012003.jpg
<p />Why don't I cook these more often?!?! This was very tasty.[p]Ran the grill up to about 450º. Seared on one side for 8 mins, flipped, 8 mins on the other side. I was losing temp the whole time (didn't spend too much time on stirring lump and such), so was at about 350º by now. Inserted my pizza stone/heat deflector and continued to cook indirect until internal temp was 129º. Let it rest, sliced and ate.[p]Yum. Oh, and this was dusted with some of DP's tasty Red Eye Express. Thanks Chris and Qfan1![p]Rich G.

Comments

• Rich G
    Options
    Sorry about the pic....my web hoster decided to have some technical probs, so I couldn't put this on my own site. Tried to use GeoCities/Yahoo, but I guess you can't link to photos from there....I'll find somewhere to grab it, but in the meantime, I have included the link below.[p]R
    [ul][li]Tri-tip[/ul]
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Rich G,
    Wow. That looks great! I have one in the freezer and you just inspired me to get it ready for the weekend. Thanks.

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Rich G,
    The way you described cooking your tri-tip is the way I typically cook mine. I usually shoot for internal temp of 125-130 in the thickest part. Let rest and slice across the grain as thin as you can. [p]Bill

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Rich G,[p]We don't usually see tri-tip around here (Florida). After all the posts about it, I'd love to come across it sometime...[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Rich G
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I almost always see it at Smart and Final when I go. I see they have stores in FL, not sure if you have checked there or not. I know that some cuts just seem to be regional in nature. Also, S&F, unfortunately, only stocks Select beef on a regular basis. Occassionally, they mess up and order Choice.[p]The tri-tip in my pictures was a Choice tri-tip purchased in a 6-pack at CostCo.[p]Hope you can find it somewhere, it's a nice piece of meat to cook.[p]Rich
    [ul][li]Smart and Final in FL[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rich G,
    I don't care what Pavlov says, I don't need no stinkin' bell.
    That is beautiful Rich. [p]drool....drool.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    Rich G,[p]I found this site with more information on tri-tip. [p]http://www.calbeef.org/recipes_tri-tip_cutting.htm[p]It seems that this is a popular California name for a more generic cut that may be available elsewhere.[p]The pictures are mouthwatering! I did one last Friday and used the leftovers for sandwiches while camping in Yosemite; made the trip even better.[p]I hope this info helps others find tri-tips other places.[p]Bill T